PDA

View Full Version : Can I have both kubuntu and ubuntu netbook desktops?

gwenadere
March 31st, 2011, 08:09 PM
I always run kde AND gnome on my laptop. Now I have a netbook and I would like to do the same thing with the netbook editions. The problem is that once I install the kubuntu netbook edition my ubuntu netbook edition becomes regular gnome and I lose all the things that make the netbook version fun.
It doesn't make a difference what order I install things in. My login screen has multiple choices but GNOME, Ubuntu Netbook, and Ubuntu Netbook 2D all login to regular gnome. Is there a way I can have both the kde and gnome netbook desktops?

wojox
March 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Are you sure it didn't deactivate your graphics driver?

gwenadere
March 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM
I don't think so, my graphics look perfect and the kubuntu netbook desktop is running exactly as it should. Is there a way to check?

I'm not a linux expert, but my friend suggested that perhaps something (a package maybe?) for the kubuntu netbook desktop relied on something from gnome and that once that file or files were installed they trumped the ones for the ubuntu netbook desktop. My login list now has gnome as well as ubuntu netbook so it looks as if both may be installed even though I can only access gnome. However, in synaptic it appears as if gnome has not been installed, although the kubuntu netbook and the ubuntu netbook are.

I hope I explained that well, I'm confusing myself.

kio_http
April 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Technically in the newer versions of KDE, both the netbook and desktop UI's are present in the release. So install GNOME-netbook interface and then install the latest version of KDE. Then under desktop properties in KDE chose the netbook UI.

gwenadere
April 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I tired installing the ubuntu netbook edition first and then kde, but still once I install kde my ubuntu netbook edition changes into regular gnome. Also, installing kde adds gnome to my login list (although selecting gnome or ubuntu netbook or ubuntu netbook 2D results in logging into gnome and not the netbook version).

Any other ideas? Is it possible that there's just a setting somewhere that I need to change?