PDA

View Full Version : will eclipse be the only best free IDE left in the future ????

hoboy
March 31st, 2011, 01:20 PM
What is your point of view ?
Netbeans 7 has dropped the support of Ruby and Python.. ok
Jetbrains has a great ide but it coast money.
Does any body use a different ide from eclipse that is as good and free ?
and also has support for ruby and python ?
what is your guys python and ruby ide ?

t1497f35
March 31st, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ruby was dropped from NetBeans cause there was lots of hype around Ruby but few actual users used it, plus Oracle decided to invest the extra effort to make Java support (even) better on NetBeans. It also dropped JavaFX script in v7.0 which I also think is good. There's no free IDE like VS2010 on Linux, so Eclipse & NetBeans will go on as top Linux IDEs, NetBeans mostly as a Java & php solution, Eclipse - anything else (C++, python etc). NetBeans - ease of use, Eclipse - lots of plugins. The rest are Emacs style stuff or half baked IDEs with too many limitations and/or warts.

leg
March 31st, 2011, 04:33 PM
The only other IDE I like is Code::Blocks but it is only for C++ as far as I know.

hoboy
March 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Ruby was dropped from NetBeans cause there was lots of hype around Ruby but few actual users used it, plus Oracle decided to invest the extra effort to make Java support (even) better on NetBeans. It also dropped JavaFX script in v7.0 which I also think is good. There's no free IDE like VS2010 on Linux, so Eclipse & NetBeans will go on as top Linux IDEs, NetBeans mostly as a Java & php solution, Eclipse - anything else (C++, python etc). NetBeans - ease of use, Eclipse - lots of plugins. The rest are Emacs style stuff or half baked IDEs with too many limitations and/or warts.

nmmmmmmmmm vs2010 ultimate is very very expensive.
but vs express is free.

lukeiamyourfather
March 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM
nmmmmmmmmm vs2010 ultimate is very very expensive.
but vs express is free.

Which is useless for Python (and Linux).

hoboy
March 31st, 2011, 05:03 PM
Which is useless for Python (and Linux).

Absolutely on ubuntu I use monodevelop..

juancarlospaco
March 31st, 2011, 09:44 PM
http://ninja-ide.org/

stchman
March 31st, 2011, 09:58 PM
I use Netbeans for Java and C/C++.

I agree, Code::Blocks is nice, but I like Netbeans better.

nvteighen
April 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM
But don't forget that in the GNU/Linux community a lot of people just don't use IDEs, and prefer text editors like vi(m) or emacs. What I try to mean is that there's less interest in IDEs than what it may seam and that currently this doesn't affect the community as a whole very much. It may in a future of course, but not yet.

Anyway, I don't like lack or loss of competition. Competition forces improvement. Of course, being Free Software leaves the door open for anyone to start a fork of Eclipse :)

hoboy
April 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
But don't forget that in the GNU/Linux community a lot of people just don't use IDEs, and prefer text editors like vi(m) or emacs. What I try to mean is that there's less interest in IDEs than what it may seam and that currently this doesn't affect the community as a whole very much. It may in a future of course, but not yet.

Anyway, I don't like lack or loss of competition. Competition forces improvement. Of course, being Free Software leaves the door open for anyone to start a fork of Eclipse :)

My problem is that I have tried for many years now to learn "like vi(m) or emacs." without success.

nvteighen
April 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
My problem is that I have tried for many years now to learn "like vi(m) or emacs." without success.

I was talking about the community still prefering those at large... not that you should convert to them!

hoboy
April 1st, 2011, 02:50 PM
I was talking about the community still prefering those at large... not that you should convert to them!

Ha ha ha tks. I understood what you said in your first mail.

trilobite
April 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
"Will Eclipse be the only IDE left in the future?" Definitely not!

I use Geany (http://www.geany.org/).
It is a beautifully-designed IDE. Clean and easy to use, and **lightweight**.

Eclipse is one of the most bloated IDEs out there (no surprise, given that it is written in Java and originated in IBM).
I'd say that Geany would do 95% of what any programmer would want to do. I'd never use anything more bloated than Geany.
- trilobite

hoboy
April 3rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
"Will Eclipse be the only IDE left in the future?" Definitely not!

I use Geany (http://www.geany.org/).
It is a beautifully-designed IDE. Clean and easy to use, and **lightweight**.

Eclipse is one of the most bloated IDEs out there (no surprise, given that it is written in Java and originated in IBM).
I'd say that Geany would do 95% of what any programmer would want to do. I'd never use anything more bloated than Geany.
- trilobite

I have just installed Geany from ubuntu software center how do you configure it to make it a good ide ?

hakermania
April 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
What R you talking about?
QtCreator is wonderful and 100% free (C++)

mmix
April 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM
there is so many tiny tools on bash shell area, these combination is vast..

ziekfiguur
April 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
I very much agree with trilobite.

I have just installed Geany from ubuntu software center how do you configure it to make it a good ide ?

You can start by going to Edit>Preferences. But if you want help, you should really specify what you think would make it a good IDE.
If there is some functionality you are missing there is a good chance you can find it in the geany-plugins package,
there are also some geany plugins that are not in the repositories yet, so you might want to look at the geany-plugins website (http://plugins.geany.org/)

jwbrase
April 4th, 2011, 07:32 AM

Use gedit, then. The point is you can write your code in a text editor and compile it with a separate compiler.

dazman19
April 4th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I am a php/mysql developer professionally. I am taking currently Java papers at university. I have done C & C++ and I want to get into learning some objective-c/coco framework to make some iphone apps in the near future.

Personally I believe that there will ALWAYS be free IDE's around. People prefer open source software. Infact I had the privilage(some might say the inconvenience) of meeting Richard Stallman when he visited New Zealand in late 2009. He looked like he had been locked in a hobit shed for most of his life trying to develop open source software. But yeh i think his free software visions is awesome, but kind of a bit un

I use eclipse for java. I dont like netbeans for java.
Netbeans is seriously the best for PHP/MySQL development. Although my buddy prefers gedit with some fancy plugins.

Emacs is a great free package for pretty much every thing else.

I have never used ruby in my life. I would liek to try PHP's yii framework.

fallenshadow
April 5th, 2011, 12:51 PM
There's no free IDE like VS2010 on Linux

*cough* MonoDevelop *cough*