PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh install 10.10 error: File not Found

1angel
March 31st, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hi There,

I did a fresh bare metal install of Ubuntu 10.10 64bits on my Dell Latitude E6410 8GB RAM and 160GB disk and everything works like a charm.
I upgraded to a 750GB disk and after installation I get:

error: File not Found
grub rescue>

I've been searching, trying to install GRUB2, but most results are for dual-boot, I don't want dual-boot, single OS, I'll use VirtualBox for other OSes.

Is something wrong with the 750GB disk? do I need to partition? that would be a bummer.

the funny part is that sometimes it boots and sometimes it doesn't, at some point I started installing the updates..... unfortunately I can't reproduce the "boot" sequence....
I'm stuck.

linuxn3wbie
March 31st, 2011, 11:38 AM
I also have had an 'error 15: file not found' GRUB error, trying to install the very same version (10.10 - 64 bits on a 5 GB RAM / 1 TB HDD machine) for the very first time, and felt quite upset (seeing as I read everywhere that Ubuntu was one of the easiest to install Linux distros). I was searching around for answers on the wide web, but found nothing interesting either.

Actually, the solutions I came across messed it up more than it already was. I even got to the point that it'd show me another error (error 8: the kernel should be loaded before booting, or something like that :confused:)

I tried 2-3 times and failed every time. The fourth time, I tried again, this time armed with a CD with 'Rescatux' on it, and I performed the same steps as I did with the prior failed attempts. If it would have failed again, I would've tried Rescatux. For no known reason, it suddenly worked, so I don't really know what the problem might be. I'd just advice to try again once more. If it then fails again, you could try to unleash Rescatux (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux) on it.

Rescatux is known to fix GRUB errors, by reinstalling a fresh GRUB to the MBR. I didn't get to try it since Ubuntu magically installed on the fourth attempt, but I'd suggest this if things don't work out, as it does look promising.

IWantFroyo
March 31st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Burning a new iso would be advisable.

1angel
March 31st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Well, I tried and tried mixing things, (I'm installing from a Live USB) and as I mentioned it worked like a charm on the 160GB disk, it worked the first time on the 750GB, but nothing worked, I did a manual isntall of GRUB and tried other "fixes" to no success.

I am swapping OpenSolaris as my main OS for Ubuntu, so I need to make it work, pronto! this is my main Work tool and I am trying really really really hard to avoid touching the windows system I got a spare.

So my fix was:

Create 3 partitions
#1 - Primary for Linux 100GB
#2 - Extended 25GB
#3 - Primary for /home 675GB

I hate to partition that way as I feel I'm leaving a lot of space sitting there waiting for nothing, I'll prefer to have one single big partition for Ubuntu + /home, so if you guys come across a solution, let me know.
I'll continue browsing for answers.
thx,