PDA

View Full Version : Extra! Extra! UBUNTU in TRON: Legacy!!!

quantum1423
March 31st, 2011, 08:39 AM
As far as I know, this Ubuntu cameo has not been reported elsewhere. Everybody knows that Flynn's grid runs on Solaris, but I have complete, conclusive evidence that ENCOM OS 12, which is NOT open-source in the movie, is Ubuntu. Yes, Ubuntu Hardy, in fact.

I have a 10 year old friend. He used the preinstalled Windows 7 (which was genuine), until his *non-geek* dad overwrote it with a pirated XP. (100 dollars wasted) My friend hated XP, so I overwrote the fake XP with Kubuntu 10.10. Then he became a Tron nerd. He kept saying that 1. "ubuntu" appeared on one of the consoles, and 2. the commands in the movie worked on his system.

Of course the commands worked in Kubuntu, but where was the "ubuntu"? I finally found that in the scene where Dillinger was fixing the ENCOM OS of the dog movie Sam put there, he listed a directory. Halfway through the displaying, ubuntu appeared - for nothing more than 100 milliseconds. Here is what it looked like:

/lib/modules/2.6.24-24-generic/ubuntu/<some file>

THERE IS ONLY ONE FRAME IN THE MOVIE THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT. By the way, the top left corner of the screen says "ENCOM LINUX CONSOLE," more evidence that OS 12 was just another big GPL violation. The thing Sam did was enforcing the law. :)

But where does Hardy come from? Hardy is the version of Ubuntu which comes with 2.6.24 kernel preinstalled.

http://www.pisoft.tk/encom.jpg

My theory: Disney uses Ubuntu Hardy in production, and just pulled out one of the thin clients, skinned the interface, and used it as a prop.

Grenage
March 31st, 2011, 08:45 AM
There was a thread covering this, shortly after its cinema release. :)

quantum1423
March 31st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Haha! But did anybody say it was Ubuntu Hardy? I caught that! And I bet nobody else saw the linux kernel version thing.

Rasa1111
March 31st, 2011, 09:08 AM
lol, yep..
I just watched this online a few nights ago, and had to pause it and go back to see what I thought I saw..
Ubuntu! lol :D <3

disabledaccount
March 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM
My theory: Disney uses Ubuntu Hardy in production, and just pulled out one of the thin clients, skinned the interface, and used it as a prop.
I think this is not a proove - it might be that they used linux because it's easy to make ubuntu (or other distro) looking like some "alien high-tech operating system".
However if we take into account that such expensive productions as Avatar were made on Linux, then it's possible that Disney is using Linux too.

Why do You think this is GPL violation?
I wouldn't sue Disney for that - in fact they are advertising Linux.

Random_Dude
March 31st, 2011, 10:15 AM
Is he codding on Emacs?

quantum1423
March 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM
I mean, the in-universe ENCOM would be violating the GPL if their OS 12 is just a Ubuntu variant.

Yes, Linux can be made to look like anything. I modded Debian to look exactly like OS X, and people were asking me, how did you do your Hackintosh? I then told them, IT IS LINUX - THE POWER TO DESTROY THE APPLE EMPIRE!!!

BTW, he is not hacking on Emacs. He is doing an ls in some weird terminal. I don't know why he would be using a two-pane terminal with the same things on two sides. I believe that there is a Debian program that looks like that.

P.S. Did anybody notice a HUGE mistake Disney did when they showed the pirated ENCOM OS on the Web? I copied down the text in the tablet computer down:

GAME GIANT'S CORP OS by WRN2X
POSTED TODAY 00:00:20:13 <<Isn't it supposed to be midnight?
ENCOM OS
VERSION R12
BY SPACE---v12

TYPE: APPLICATION
PLATFORM: PC OR MAC <<Does this matter for an OS? Besides, isn't ENCOM OS supposed to be the leading OS instead of Win or OSX?

IN PROGRESS: 511,102
YOUR SESSION: 72%
511 GB <<ENCOM OS is a space hogger!!!
1.33 KB/s <<What? Did somebody swap the internet connection in the office to dialup?

quantum1423
March 31st, 2011, 10:58 AM
I think this is not a proove - it might be that they used linux because it's easy to make ubuntu (or other distro) looking like some "alien high-tech operating system".
However if we take into account that such expensive productions as Avatar were made on Linux, then it's possible that Disney is using Linux too.

But why are they using Hardy? That seems quite implausible if they create a new prop and install Hardy on it. It seems quite possible that Disney uses Hardy on workstations. Hey, it's a "corporate environment," and some companies are still using Mac OS 9 and IE 5.5!

juancarlospaco
March 31st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Into the game Doom 3 theres an "Encom Systems" too, curious...

SeijiSensei
March 31st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Is he codding on Emacs?

Looks like emacs to me, though both windows appear to be displaying a directory listing, one of emacs many modes.

dh04000
March 31st, 2011, 03:06 PM
WOW!

They could have had ANYTHING go by on that screen, but that was a purposeful throw out to Ubuntu users. From KDE being in Ironman, and now this. Looks like linux is penetrating popular media!

Go Ubuntu/Linux!

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM
lol, yep..
I just watched this online a few nights ago, and had to pause it and go back to see what I thought I saw..
Ubuntu! lol :D <3

The bolded is shameful considering that Tron: Legacy's release date on DVD/BD is next Tuesday.

Grenage
March 31st, 2011, 04:18 PM
The bolded is shameful considering that Tron: Legacy's release date on DVD/BD is next Tuesday.

Let the flogging commence; I'll go get my cat of nine tails!

Rasa1111
March 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM

Go on and focus&fret over the trivial and meaningless things if you like...
I watched a movie someone put online, how shameful! :rolleyes:
No one's going broke over it. Relax.

operatorace
March 31st, 2011, 05:37 PM

Get over yourself. Go cry in the laps of the MPAA.

skierkyles
March 31st, 2011, 05:45 PM
Get over yourself. Go cry in the laps of the MPAA.

It's copyrighted material, no different then any opensource or free project. If someone was violating an opensource projects copyright/license would you say the same?

operatorace
March 31st, 2011, 06:47 PM
It's copyrighted material, no different then any opensource or free project. If someone was violating an opensource projects copyright/license would you say the same?

Yep. All information should be free. As the movie says, " It was designed to be free!"

Too bad there isn't someone like Flynn in our world today.

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM

Though his post says otherwise, I doubt it.

Yep. All information should be free. As the movie says, " It was designed to be free!"

There are plenty of people like Flynn in our world today. They're just not stupid enough to think that "free" equates to "I shouldn't get paid for my work".

People like you baffle me with your doubletalk.

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2011, 07:28 PM
Let the flogging commence; I'll go get my cat of nine tails!

You mean flogging him, or me? Because given that I've posted something indicative that moviemakers should get paid for their contribution to cinema, rather than spend millions on a film they're "supposed to give away because everything should be free" and say "hmm, we did the right thing, gents!", I'm fully expecting that I am the one about to get torn to shreds by zealots with unrealistic expectations.

fuduntu
March 31st, 2011, 07:45 PM

Except that it isn't, and theft of material protected by copyright is still theft.

Rasa1111
March 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM
well,
it won't be me attempting to 'tear you to shreds with my 'unrealistic expectations'.

There are far more important things in the world to focus on.
If everyone put all the energy and focus they do into meaningless things, into things that actually matter, the world might be in a good place.

and let's not pretend that the film-makers are "not getting paid" because some people can watch their film online. :rolleyes:
Please.

Pull the blinders off and it's really a non-issue.

I'm out. Peace

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
well,
it won't be me attempting to 'tear you to shreds with my 'unrealistic expectations'.

There are far more important things in the world to focus on.
If everyone put all the energy and focus they do into meaningless things, into things that actually matter, the world might be in a good place.

and let's not pretend that the film-makers are "not getting paid" because some people can watch their film online. :rolleyes:
Please.

Pull the blinders off and it's really a non-issue.

I'm out. Peace

That's cool, I'll go rip off a picture from your deviantART page and not give due credit. But it's cool, because it's not like you care, because everything should be free, amirite?

Rasa1111
March 31st, 2011, 08:03 PM
That's cool, I'll go rip off a picture from your deviantART page and not give due credit. But it's cool, because it's not like you care, because everything should be free, amirite?

No, you're not "rite".
and go ahead.
Feel free!
Go edit them and stick your name on them for all I care. lol

Simian Man
March 31st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Please.

So if Wal-Mart still makes a profit, I should be allowed to help myself to the cash register now and then? Jerks like you are the reason the rest of us have to pay $15 for movie tickets. The blasé attitude this forum has regarding copyright law is ridiculous.

Tristam Green
March 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM
So if Wal-Mart still makes a profit, I should be allowed to help myself to the cash register now and then? Jerks like you are the reason the rest of us have to pay $15 for movie tickets. The blasé attitude this forum has regarding copyright law is ridiculous.

[thedude]That cash is begging to be free, man.[/abides]

Rasa1111
March 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM

"jerks like me"? lol

You have no idea who i am, who or how many people i help, or anything else..
So stop being ignorant and calling names like a little child.
Or are you a little child? :rolleyes:

I have no time for those like you.
enjoy being bent over such rubbish.
Sad.

cheers.

Simian Man
March 31st, 2011, 08:20 PM
You have no idea who i am, who or how many people i help, or anything else..
So stop being ignorant and calling names like a little child.
Or are you a little child?

If I was a little child, I'd still be old enough to obey the law :).

uRock
March 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM
Thread Closed