PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't there more online classes for universities?

brawnypandora0
March 31st, 2011, 06:35 AM
I'm not talking about exclusively online schools, but your average state college or even a more prestigious Ivy League school. Not counting classes with lab components, which have to be offered traditionally, why not offer most courses online? Most professors don't really enjoying teaching and most students only care about their grades. Why not solve this problem by making more courses online so that students don't have to get out of bed so early each morning and professors don't have to spend time manually marking everything?

Seriously, some first year art courses are an absolute joke; one could read the chapters in a few hours and then complete the all multiple choice final. Bingo. Grade.

Even fourth science courses can be a joke. Read the chapters, submit homework online, ask for help online, write the final (the only time you show up to campus). Done.

brawnypandora0
March 31st, 2011, 06:36 AM
In today's global economy, I don't understand why more universities don't do this. It shouldn't take four years to get a lowly bachelors degree. Students ought to be able to finish in as little time as one and a half years.

lz1dsb
March 31st, 2011, 09:23 AM
You've raised an interesting point. I was asking myself the same questions while I was taking my classes at the university. I think that for most of the subjects this system could work pretty well. But off course you can't beat a well prepared and well presented lecture by an influential teacher. So in my humble opinion there should be a mix of online resources and lectures with a teacher. The world is changing, the education should follow...

Cheers

brawnypandora0
March 31st, 2011, 09:24 AM
The professor could always lecture in front of a video camera. Save some money, time AND space in lecture halls.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 09:40 AM
The professor could always lecture in front of a video camera. Save some money, time AND space in lecture halls.

This point (and all of this discussion) is the absolute solution for public schools...

The first half of the day should be at home in front of a funded workstation and funded ISP.. The cost savings of no state funded lunches and savings in electricity, gas, etc etc would offset these necessities..

The students would be able to record everything and study at their needs..

The 2nd half of the day would be for every class or event needed at the school.. Band, sports, science.. labs etc...

The savings to each state would be ENORMOUS.. but no one wants to hear about this or take it seriously...

I know, I hear you saying wait... Not everyone can get high speed ISP and this is where I say hogwash! I live in Podunk Missouri, deep in the sticks and have some of the fastest broadband anywhere... All I can say is that if I can get it here, it can be got anywhere..

Grenage
March 31st, 2011, 09:42 AM
I didn't attend University, but I can't imagine that the average home is as good a learning environment.

lz1dsb
March 31st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Good point. I didn't think about all of the saving possibilities. It's amazing when you think about it! And it could be accomplished now, we have the technology now...:lolflag:

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 09:53 AM
I didn't attend University, but I can't imagine that the average home is as good a learning environment.

Based on what? I see you are in the UK and I know that education there is far superior..

The public funded schools here in the states are a joke and only getting worse...

There are good schools, I know, but the system is in dire straits and needs a complete overhaul...

I have 2 children who have muddled their way through this system.. gifted children who were bored out of their minds in their "required" time at school and could not wait to get home for a real education...

Paqman
March 31st, 2011, 09:54 AM

I'm currently studying for a degree by distance learning, and i'd agree with this. My course has optional tutorials that I can attend, and I always find them extremely worthwhile.

Grenage
March 31st, 2011, 09:59 AM
Based on what? I see you are in the UK and I know that education there is far superior..

The public funded schools here in the states are a joke and only getting worse...

There are good schools, I know, but the system is in dire straits and needs a complete overhaul...

I have 2 children who have muddled their way through this system.. gifted children who were bored out of their minds in their "required" time at school and could not wait to get home for a real education...

I haven't attending University here, or know enough about US education to comment - that said...

I imagine that home learning can work as long as the student is dedicated enough, and I suppose that if they aren't that dedicated, they aren't worth the funding. A assume we're talking 'higher' education alone here. I just find it hard to believe that someone sitting on a computer with internet access and a few books will get anywhere near the experience of real interaction with peers and lecturers.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 10:04 AM
I haven't attending University here, or know enough about US education to comment - that said...

I imagine that home learning can work as long as the student is dedicated enough, and I suppose that if they aren't that dedicated, they aren't worth the funding. A assume we're talking 'higher' education alone here.

How does any education differ as long as the results are measured and achieved?

I am talking about a broken system that is vital to millions of children here in the US and again, I understand the differences in the education process everywhere else that works so well world wide, but is not what is available here in the states unless you are rich enough to send your children to private schools.. And these approach University costs...

Paqman
March 31st, 2011, 10:07 AM
millions of children here in the US

If you're talking about children, then sending them to school to interact with other kids is a really important part of their social development. Obviously the importance of this declines as age rises.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 10:08 AM
I just find it hard to believe that someone sitting on a computer with internet access and a few books will get anywhere near the experience of real interaction with peers and lecturers.

I was not suggesting this... A class would happen, it would just be on video..

I see several "lecturers" involved and several assistants.. This way a student could actually invoke a session just for help... while the rest is still being recorded..

Also, the 2nd half of the day addresses the peer and social questions..

You have to look at this strictly from an economic standpoint... There is no money or funding coming for an already systemically broken system... Here in the states..

Grenage
March 31st, 2011, 10:09 AM
How does any education differ as long as the results are measured and achieved?

As far as getting a certificate goes, it probably doesn't. I just don't want to see the next generation become even more detached than the current one, living behind computer and TV screens.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
If you're talking about children, then sending them to school to interact with other kids is a really important part of their social development. Obviously the importance of this declines as age rises.

Of course this is important and I have addressed this need for social development

Having said that, school is not the only place that social development should take place.

Also, if you knew the things that go on in public schools, you may re think this...

Chronon
March 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
I know, I hear you saying wait... Not everyone can get high speed ISP and this is where I say hogwash! I live in Podunk Missouri, deep in the sticks and have some of the fastest broadband anywhere... All I can say is that if I can get it here, it can be got anywhere..

You overgeneralize. I know people who do not have access to public utilities (electricity or water) or access to a land line. Neither cable nor DSL nor even dial-up can be had in these places. You may be able to get cell phone reception these days, but this is hardly broadband.

ukripper
March 31st, 2011, 10:13 AM

+1 Having a 4 month old myself I fully support child's development through interaction with other kids especially, nursery and creche are very important.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 10:14 AM
As far as getting a certificate goes, it probably doesn't. I just don't want to see the next generation become even more detached than the current one, living behind computer and TV screens.

I agree... totally. But knowing the "other side" here, I believe that these fears are insignificant compared to what is really going on..

If you and I are where we are at now without a computer in our generation (I am 51 and have worked in technology and as a student counselor for 25 years) just imagine the future for these that do have it

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 10:16 AM
You overgeneralize. I know people who do not have access to public utilities (electricity or water) or access to a land line. Neither cable nor DSL nor even dial-up can be had in these places. You may be able to get cell phone reception these days, but this is hardly broadband.

You missed the point by a mile.. It can be done, and with several states pushing for bills to get access to every student, it is a reality that will happen

Grenage
March 31st, 2011, 10:30 AM
I agree... totally. But knowing the "other side" here, I believe that these fears are insignificant compared to what is really going on..

If you and I are where we are at now without a computer in our generation (I am 51 and have worked in technology and as a student counselor for 25 years) just imagine the future for these that do have it

As a counselor, I'll bow to your greater sociological experience; I like my personal space to average at 1km. ;)

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 10:35 AM
As a counselor, I'll bow to your greater sociological experience; I like my personal space to average at 1km. ;)

:popcorn:

I just see a major problem and as a trouble shooting guru on the tech side, I want to see solutions to a runaway train wreck..

If you look at scoring in all fields globally, the US is ranked way way behind in all areas.. It is something I have feared for many years and regardless of any approach to address, it always comes down to money...

Finding solutions to both (all) issues is empirical

matthew.ball
March 31st, 2011, 12:49 PM
So basically, just turn universities into a "degree mill"?

mamamia88
March 31st, 2011, 02:25 PM
personally i prefer regular classes. less work

lykwydchykyn
March 31st, 2011, 02:58 PM
My experience with online courses at my local community college is that the teachers had no clue how to actually teach them. Think about the way we interact at a forum like this one: we discuss, debate, link in outside material, and those who participate and pay attention can learn a great deal. Creating an environment like that for an online course would be great!

The problem is that it didn't happen. Teachers didn't care, students didn't care; they both just did the minimum token things to say they'd done the course.

Not surprisingly, the online offerings diminished every semester.

KegHead
March 31st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Hi!

I studied for an MBA off campus.

It worked for me at the time..I was travelling coast to coast!

KedHead

dh04000
March 31st, 2011, 03:02 PM
Why aren't there more online classes? You don't learn anything!

As a scientist(biochemist), there is no way I would have learned my field from an online class. Nor do I believe I would have learned to be a good musician. How do you do perform a Jazz piece online? Nor would I have good writing or thinking skills without being in a class to bounce ideas and develop thoughts and ideas with.

Online classes are a plague to our higher education system, and it sickens me that REAL universities are going to online classes and that people ACTUALLY support that!

In the beginning of this thread, someone said that professors would prefer online classes because they do not care about teaching. I guess this person went to a BIG TEN or other big school? I went to a small university on the east coast, and if it wasn't for the fact my professors cared so much and took it upon themselves to push me to excel, I wouldn't be where I am now. I'm a PhD candidate and proud! I'm going to be a great professor some day and push my students to be great too! /rant

eriktheblu
March 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM
The average cost of private school tuition is ~$1500 less than the average cost per student at public schools. There are other solutions that don't involve the cost of redesigning the infrastructure.

For online universities, they already exist and are employed. There is however still a market for traditional schools. A traditional campus needn't develop an online system since that market is already covered. Traditional campuses service a geographic area, where online schools are borderless.

DZ*
March 31st, 2011, 03:51 PM

It's still only a read only (watch only) way of learning. In that case, reading a good textbook is superior, because you can do it at your own pace. There is only so much you can ask in a lecture hall, but you can bug professor after the lecture, and as importantly, you can discuss stuff with other students and work on problems in groups. Also, these students would likely be an intelligent group of people in any university with competitive admission.

Shining Arcanine
March 31st, 2011, 04:21 PM

I understand that the University of California at Berkeley and State University of New York at Stony Brook are quite good. Perhaps the issue is that the standards in your state are lower than those in New York and California.

Chronon
March 31st, 2011, 06:07 PM
You missed the point by a mile.. It can be done, and with several states pushing for bills to get access to every student, it is a reality that will happen
If you're speculating about some potential future then I don't see what relevance Podunk, Missouri has. I thought you were implying an expectation of the current state of broadband proliferation based on its availability where you live.

I agree that at some point in the future it could be possible to have a minimum level of internet access that would make things like video-conferencing available to every student.

Chronon
March 31st, 2011, 06:12 PM
I understand that the University of California at Berkeley and State University of New York at Stony Brook are quite good. Perhaps the issue is that the standards in your state are lower than those in New York and California.
I think they are talking about primary and secondary education only. (At least I hope so.)

Simian Man
March 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM
If you think of the college experience as a bunch of rote memorization that leads to a piece of paper, then yes, this is a good idea. My college experience was a hell of a lot more rewarding than that though.

The average cost of private school tuition is ~$1500 less than the average cost per student at public schools. There are other solutions that don't involve the cost of redesigning the infrastructure.

Do you have a reference for that?

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think they are talking about primary and secondary education only. (At least I hope so.)

You are correct..

lisati
March 31st, 2011, 06:19 PM

I think I see where you're coming from here. Thinking back, even though I'm not the greatest of students, the social interaction I experienced both at school and university provided experience of interacting with others that I might have otherwise missed out on.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 06:32 PM
If you're speculating about some potential future then I don't see what relevance Podunk, Missouri has. I thought you were implying an expectation of the current state of broadband proliferation based on its availability where you live.

I agree that at some point in the future it could be possible to have a minimum level of internet access that would make things like video-conferencing available to every student.

The truth is simple, public education (K-12) has been broken for a long time..

IMHO, a complete redesign is an absolute need especially in these times when the economic and political landscapes are cutting what little the public school systems have had.. And of course I do not have the total solution, just expressing something needs to happen

The global measurements of students scores where the US stands is not a fabrication

Quote from a USA today and Huffington Post December 2010

Out of 34 countries, the U.S. ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science and 25th in math.

VastOne
March 31st, 2011, 06:43 PM
The average cost of private school tuition is ~$1500 less than the average cost per student at public schools.

Do you have a reference for that?

I would sure like to see this reference as well...

Searching, I see the cost per student is incredibly high.. on average $10,041 per student!

This then supports even more the necessity to change a broken/listing system

Spend the money more wisely and not only could we fix the public education and maybe even the road infrastructure to get to these schools along the way

uRock
March 31st, 2011, 06:53 PM
Many of my AAS degree's classes are offered online as well, though I choose to take many of them in the classroom as some things are best learnt with hands on. As for core classes, I'd go nuts trying to listen to those lectures and stay awake. I had my share of classroom time in the Army.