PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installin Graphics Driver

VanDerGraff
March 31st, 2011, 03:45 AM
I just put ubuntu 10.04 on my dell dimension 2400 and it has been very laggy since. I think it has somthing to do with the graphics driver not being installed properly. I had upgraded the gpu awhile ago to a radeon 2200 pro and i think when i installed ubunut either the driver didnt install or it is the wrong one. Can anyone help?

thank you

jcolyn
March 31st, 2011, 04:11 AM
Your system ram may not be enough ..

tommcd
March 31st, 2011, 05:10 AM
I had upgraded the gpu awhile ago to a radeon 2200 pro and i think when i installed ubunut either the driver didnt install or it is the wrong one.
If you go to: system > administration > additional drivers, it should offer to install the proprietary ati driver. Then reboot the computer.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

VanDerGraff
March 31st, 2011, 05:27 AM
Your system ram may not be enough ..

I have the maximum amount of ram my motherboard can hold.. Which happens to be a whopping 1g which i would think should be enough.

VanDerGraff
March 31st, 2011, 05:29 AM
If you go to: system > administration > additional drivers, it should offer to install the proprietary ati driver. Then reboot the computer.

And welcome to the Ubuntu forums!

Thanks okay when i go to administration there is no tab for additional drivers. Do you mean go to hardware drivers? Because when i do that it just tells me that no propritary drivers are in use on the system.

tommcd
March 31st, 2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks okay when i go to administration there is no tab for additional drivers. Do you mean go to hardware drivers? Because when i do that it just tells me that no propritary drivers are in use on the system.
Yes, hardware drivers is correct. I thing with Ubuntu 10.10 they changed it to "additional drivers".
Are there any hardware drivers listed there for you to install? If, not then there may not be any driver available for your card. ATI dropped linux support for a lot of older ati cards.
I have no experience with ati unfortunately. I always use nvidia, since there is still much better linux support for nvidia cards.
See this tutorial for more info on ati cards: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Is your user name "VanDerGraff" a reference to the progressive rock group VanDerGraff Generator by any chance??

VanDerGraff
March 31st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Is your user name "VanDerGraff" a reference to the progressive rock group VanDerGraff Generator by any chance??

actually yeah. Good catch. they are one of my favorite bands of all time.

jcolyn
April 1st, 2011, 01:48 AM
Check out this review of your model.. http://www.pcworld.com/article/115403/dell_dimension_2400.html

"It was no surprise that this Dimension did not pass muster in our high-end graphics tests. It's wishful thinking to expect a powerful graphics card in a $700 PC, and the integrated Intel Extreme (845GV) chip set borrows from the system's main memory, inhibiting graphics performance. In our 3D gaming tests, frame rates reached around 30 frames per second only at the lowest tested resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels and 16-bit color, and dipped to less than 5 fps at a resolution of 1600 by 1200 and 32-bit color. The result was bland-looking colors and jerky action during game play. And without an AGP slot, there's no practical graphics upgrade."

This is what I would suggest. Upgrade your Intel video driver by opening a terminal and entering
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updatesNext

sudo apt-get updateThen

Open update manager and install the updates. Next open synaptic and enter intel then look for xserver-xorg-video-intel and check it for upgrade then apply..

If you also want to upgrade the kernel then instead of the synaptic method after
sudo apt-get updateas above enter in the terminal
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

tommcd
April 1st, 2011, 03:59 AM
VanDerGraff said his video card was radeon 2200.

VanDerGraff,
In order to find out exactly what graphics card you have, open a terminal and post the output of:
lspci | grep -i vga
This will show us exactly what graphics card you have.
Also post the output of:

glxinfo | grep -i render
The glxinfo will tell us if direct rendering is enabled for your video card.

BTW, I am a huge VanDerGraff Generator fan also!!:)

VanDerGraff
April 2nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
VanDerGraff said his video card was radeon 2200.

VanDerGraff,
In order to find out exactly what graphics card you have, open a terminal and post the output of:
lspci | grep -i vgaThis will show us exactly what graphics card you have.
Also post the output of:

glxinfo | grep -i renderThe glxinfo will tell us if direct rendering is enabled for your video card.

BTW, I am a huge VanDerGraff Generator fan also!!:)

I do have a radeon 2200 pro and when i typed in the glxinfo into the terminal it said:

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI (RV280 5960) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI 2

what do i do from here? and im glad to hear your a fan of them i feel like hardly anybody knows of them.:guitar: