PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install package to offline computer (gparted)...

Moozillaaa
March 31st, 2011, 12:21 AM
How is the best way to do this?

I have a USB drive that I use to transfer regular data, but how do I download gparted to it, and install it on another computer?

Thanks...

gordintoronto
March 31st, 2011, 03:33 AM
Go to packages.ubuntu.com

Or you could download the stand-alone version of Gparted and burn it to a CD.

Moozillaaa
March 31st, 2011, 04:06 AM
I went to packages.ubuntu.com, and found a link to download gparted.

Not a thing about installing it on an offline computer tho'... Do you know how?

I'm not really wanting to have to burn a gparted CD, and booting it every time I need it. I really want to install it.

Anybody?

sikander3786
March 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
You'll need to install all the dependencies for GParted as well. And Keryx is a nice offline package manager for Debian/Ubuntu. It will download the dependencies automatically and save them onto your USB drive. In addition, you can use it for updating you install (offline). Take a look at Keryx documentation.

http://keryxproject.org/

Moozillaaa
March 31st, 2011, 10:18 AM
You'll need to install all the dependencies for GParted as well. And Keryx is a nice offline package manager for Debian/Ubuntu. It will download the dependencies automatically and save them onto your USB drive. In addition, you can use it for updating you install (offline). Take a look at Keryx documentation.

http://keryxproject.org/
Good step-by-step silk. :rolleyes:

keryx might be a good utility, but the accompanying 'tutorial' is lousy.

1) Create a profile. This can simply be downloaded from the Premade section. Yes... just SIMPLY.

There is no 'Create a Profile' button. Anywhere. There is no 'Download Premade [Default???] Profile button.

If you're not familiar with the application, the 'tutorial' is worthless. If you ARE familiar with the application, well, you don't need the 'tutorial'.

The instructions don't look any more tailored to the earlier version of keryx either, nor do they follow the screenshots (of the earlier version).

I've even figured out what the task is comprised of, but the interface texts bear NO clues.

1) Get a snapshot of your current offline Synaptic, on an external device.
2) Put the external device on an online machine.
3) Update, get the package, and dependencies.
4) Go back to offline machine, and execute.

NONE of the GUI buttons even remotely resembles these tasks.

Is anybody familiar with this application?

Moozillaaa
April 1st, 2011, 12:25 AM
anyone?

sikander3786
April 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have used Keryx in the past but don't remember much of that stuff. I will try it tomorrow and will let you know about how it works. In the mean time if any one else has some ideas, he is most welcome.