PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GNOME Dekstop not showing the login Screen

romy.mathew
March 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I tried to open the Open the Laptop I found the I could not find my Login Screen, I can watch my mouse scrolling around and when hit power key show me restart, herbinernate .etc,

I tried to log in into console by pressing ALT+CNL+F4, and when typed startx it showed me following error

"
Fatal Server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no running remove /tmp/.X0-lock
and start again

Xinit: Resource temporarly unavailable (errno 11): unable to connect to X server

Xinit : No such process (Errno 3): server error

"

Please Help.....

ajgreeny
March 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Have you ever seen the gnome desktop on the machine, or is this a problem after installing? What hardware have you got running ubuntu, particularly the graphic card?

There is an xsession already running, hence the error message

Server is already active for display 0so from the Ctrl+F4 console try stopping gdm with
sudo service gdm stopthen try
startx again and report back any new error messages.

romy.mathew
March 30th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Have you ever seen the gnome desktop on the machine, or is this a problem after installing? What hardware have you got running ubuntu, particularly the graphic card?

There is an xsession already running, hence the error message

Server is already active for display 0so from the Ctrl+F4 console try stopping gdm with
sudo service gdm stopthen try
startx again and report back any new error messages.
Thanks ajgreeny for the quick response, I have using the gnome dekstop without any problem, all i have done is installed a GD [Graphics Library for perl module], when i opened in morning this issue happened

I am using below hardware for the graphics card

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS482 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

When I type the command above It takes me inside the dekstop, but when i restart it I need to do the same operation again to get inside the dekstop....:(