PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install ubuntu on a usb

BaxterStockman
March 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM
hai,

i'm pretty new to this stuff, my windows pc broke and then i installed ubuntu on a usb flash drive and tried the try version, i was impressed. that's so much better than windows!

so what i wanna do is to install a full version on the usb flash drive, so that i can use it on any pc ('cause mine is broken now). so what i did is the try version of ubuntu and then i clicked the install button but it wouldn't let me install it right on to that flash drive, so installed it on the regular harddrive and thought i boot from the regular one format the usb drive and install a complete ubuntu version on it again.

but the question is, where do i find the install button or is their any? some kind of a program just like i had in the beginning ?

does this make sense ?

Hashiru
March 30th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hi, this is what I think you want to do:

Have an Ubuntu distribution installed on a flash drive.

I did that before with Unetbootin. It was a while ago though, but I used this url to do it:
http://linuxandfriends.com/2009/03/05/install-linux-on-a-usb-stick-in-5-easy-steps/

You might want to change your bios settings to USB first. (Some old computers are not able to boot from USB. A workaround for this is install plop boot manager on a cd and use cd-rom as first boot)

Hope this helps

BaxterStockman
March 30th, 2011, 08:14 PM
yeah, that's what i wanted to do but as i said i couldn't install it on the same usb drive

i already downloaded unetbootin and used it, but it wouldn't let me choose the usb drive as that partition i wanted to install it on
so i chose the regular harddrive

but i want a full ubuntu version on my usb flash drive so i can just use the flash drive an no harddrive anymore

KegHead
March 30th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi!

Download current iso

Then Goto:
1. system
2. administration
3. start up disk creator
4. your iso will be the source & disk to use will be your usb stick.

Enjoy!

KegHead

Hippytaff
March 30th, 2011, 08:24 PM
If you mean you can't install it from the usb to the usb, you have to copy the iso to the harddrive and then install it on the usb with unetbootin. So whilst in ubuntu (or windows) copy the usb to the harddrive and then open unetbootin etc etc