PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop icons, shortcuts

mrush336
March 30th, 2011, 05:01 PM
hello all. Im new to Ubuntu and have a simple question? When I open a places location and then close it there appears on my desktop an icon or shortcut rather of the place or hard drive where I was. Is there a way to stop this? To prevent the icon from showing up? I notice after shutting down and booting back up the icons are gone. its a minor inconvienence but I have looked everywhere in the settings and cannot find a way to turn this feature off. Any help will be much apprieciated thank you.

~Plue
March 30th, 2011, 05:29 PM
you mean you want to hide the partitions from the desktop?
if so, press alt+F2 to bring up the run dialog and enter gconf-editor
then, navigate to apps > nautilus > desktop and uncheck 'volumes visible'

or, you could install ubuntu-tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) and use it to change the visibility of the icons (among many other things)

AndyCinDallas
March 30th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Bear in mind that it's showing you that it's mounted a drive or partition or shared folder (or whatever) - so you can always right-click on the icon and click "unmount" - and it's gone ;)

mrush336
March 31st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Ok thank you. right clicking on the icon that looks like a hard drive and selecting unmount does make it disappear. but is there a way to prevent them from showing up in the first place? im a little ocd about my desktop being neat and organized and i go crazy when programs put shortcuts on my desktop that i did not want! lol thank you in advance

mrush336
March 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM
ok i installed ubuntu tweak and unchecked the show mounted volumes box and that took care of it. thank you all for the help.

sorrow413
April 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
im have been useing linux for dayliy use for a about two years now and i love it the freedom the ability to find lots of free things and the fact that since i have been useing linux i have goten alot better at doing alot of computery things any way im not good at doing some of the more advance things in linux i have a friend who knows loads more than me about ti but hes not around and i have a hard time getting to talk to him so ill ask here plez forgive me if this is a moronic question but is their a terminal command for hiding everything on the desktop temperately and hotkeying that to a button so that if you want to just hid it all you just push that button if so could someone plez tell me and before you bitch at the fact that i cant spell for the life of me i have a hard time spelling and my spell check is like for what ever reason doesnt like me lol

Krytarik
April 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Simply create a keyboard shortcut for this command, hoping you generally know how to do that:

gconftool-2 /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible --toggle
LOL:D Funny thing!