PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome and XFCE Help?

galacticaboy
March 30th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I am kinda bored and am wanting to experment a little bit just for fun, can I install Ubuntu 10.10, apt-get remove nautilus and gnome, and apt-get install thunar and xfce? Just for fun? Will it work?
Thanks
David

Copper Bezel
March 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
The package you want to install is xubuntu-desktop, and it will install all the XFCE parts you need and coexist peaceably with your Gnome install. You can log out and select a Xubuntu session after you click your name, with the Sessions menu in the panel below the login window.

If you want a system optimized to the XFCE universe, try installing Xubuntu instead to begin with.

IWantFroyo
March 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
You can go into Synaptic (System-Administration) and search xubuntu-desktop. That's the entire xfce and xubuntu system, and you will get all the apps (if you don't want some of them in gnome, you can go to main menus in System=Preferences. kubuntu-desktop is obviously the kde/kubuntu. Just log out and log into xfce once the install is done.
EDIT= Beaten to it!:)

galacticaboy
March 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
The package you want to install is xubuntu-desktop, and it will install all the XFCE parts you need and coexist peaceably with your Gnome install. You can log out and select a Xubuntu session after you click your name, with the Sessions menu in the panel below the login window.

If you want a system optimized to the XFCE universe, try installing Xubuntu instead to begin with.

I know I can install Xubuntu, I am running it now, I was just curious! I may try it one day just for fun. But is there a way to do it without having to choose my session each time, just make it the default?

IWantFroyo
March 30th, 2011, 10:25 AM
After you boot into it once, you'll boot into it again unless you choose another GUI. It already is default (as long as you don't change it).

el_koraco
March 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
But is there a way to do it without having to choose my session each time, just make it the default?

if i recall correctly, once you install xubuntu desktop, you'll get a prompt asking you which session you want as default. you can also change the default session in administration - login screen.

galacticaboy
March 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM
if i recall correctly, once you install xubuntu desktop, you'll get a prompt asking you which session you want as default. you can also change the default session in administration - login screen.

Awesome! Thanks, I will have to play around with that!
David

3Miro
March 30th, 2011, 06:58 PM
xubuntu-desktop will install a lot of stuff and change some settings (like the boot splash screen). You can only install xfce4 and maybe xfce4-goodies.

Don't remove nautilus, otherwise you will break Gnome. If you want to remove Gnome and add Xfce, then use xubuntu-desktop and to uninstall Gnome you will have to use psychocat's commands:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index