PDA

View Full Version : broke down and bought minecraft today

Dustin2128
March 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM
and I must say, feels very fresh- not an old concept reused for the upteenth time. And it's very fast for a java game, runs smoothly with my 9600 GT (absolute crap on my various intel chipsets obviously). Definitely going to recommend to my friends. Also: a 20$ indie native linux games? Sweet. Anyone else here play?

smellyman
March 30th, 2011, 03:08 AM
seems like something I would like, but I haven't played video games since super mario world at the local bowling alley. The young kids would probably get mad at me because I just wouldn't understand what the He!! is going on. :)

Dustin2128
March 30th, 2011, 03:26 AM
seems like something I would like, but I haven't played video games since super mario world at the local bowling alley. The young kids would probably get mad at me because I just wouldn't understand what the He!! is going on. :)
may as well try it out, price keeps going up from here until release day! If you've ever played dwarf fortress, it's somewhat like that. If you haven't played dwarf fortress, play it, it's free (beer) and linux native, like the nethack of civbuilders.

Legendary_Bibo
March 30th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I play it, the only thing I know how to craft are wooden picks, and hoes though. Me and my bro were thinking about using an old desktop we have to make a server. Can the same account be used twice in a multiplayer server?

Also, I solved my cooling issue. I'm using my fanpad and having it connected to my usb ports on my monitor rather than drawing power from my laptop, and I open up my laptop a bit (where it's not in the way of my screen) and have my fan blow on high on it. The temperature stabilizes at about 70 degrees celsius.

I have a question for you though, did you have to change out some files in order for it to run, or did it just work for you?

Paqman
March 30th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I play it, the only thing I know how to craft are wooden picks, and hoes though.

You'll be wanting to read this then:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki

Me and my bro were thinking about using an old desktop we have to make a server.

If you do, drop some invites to your friends here at UF. I've been looking for a nice friendly SMP server ;)

I have a question for you though, did you have to change out some files in order for it to run, or did it just work for you?

Survival Mode's always just worked for me. SMP is still pretty buggy. I use OpenJDK.

Jagoly
March 30th, 2011, 07:21 AM
That's true. Ignore the fact that Notch tells you to use the sun java vm. It is horribly buggy compared to openjdk for minecraft. Definitely worth getting. It costed me $20. Half of my other games costed 4 times as much and see 1/4 the play time.

Legendary_Bibo
March 30th, 2011, 03:42 PM
That's true. Ignore the fact that Notch tells you to use the sun java vm. It is horribly buggy compared to openjdk for minecraft. Definitely worth getting. It costed me $20. Half of my other games costed 4 times as much and see 1/4 the play time.

I didn't even try the Sun Java one because there were only rpms and for some reason I couldn't execute the binary file because the Virus Scanner I got from the USC kept opening up to scan it, then I couldn't do anything. Even when I tried opening it up with the terminal.

RiceMonster
March 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Big time player here. Mostly play on a private server with close friends (that I administrate). Very addicting game. It's not very often that I get hooked on a video game. Usually I'll play a game for a few weeks then get bored.

Me and my bro were thinking about using an old desktop we have to make a server.

If you want to play only on your own LAN, that will be fine, but if you want to play elsewhere or with people outside your home, I would recommend getting a VPS. make sure the desktop has at least 2 gb ram. You'll need it to run the server program smoothly.

Can the same account be used twice in a multiplayer server

No. SMP requires authentication with minecraft.net. May be an option to shut that off, but I forget.

donkyhotay
March 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Minecraft rocks, I also play on a small private server with a bunch of friends. For the most part we usually go off into the wilderness, build something cool and then tell the others about it to show it off. Currently I'm building a large maze underground for my friends to try and solve. It's pretty big, walking directly from the entrance to the exit on the surface takes most of one game day (dawn to dusk) and of course going through the maze is not a direct line so it takes a long time to go through even if you know the most direct route.

Legendary_Bibo
March 30th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Big time player here. Mostly play on a private server with close friends (that I administrate). Very addicting game. It's not very often that I get hooked on a video game. Usually I'll play a game for a few weeks then get bored.

If you want to play only on your own LAN, that will be fine, but if you want to play elsewhere or with people outside your home, I would recommend getting a VPS. make sure the desktop has at least 2 gb ram. You'll need it to run the server program smoothly.

No. SMP requires authentication with minecraft.net. May be an option to shut that off, but I forget.

Ah okay, I've been meaning to upgrade the RAM. If it's cheap I'll turn it into an online server. Is there anything else I have to upgrade? It has 40 or 80gb HDD, Nvidia GeForce 440 MX, and a Pentium 4. I already have it running Lubuntu on it, but I could put a distro that makes it easier to manage a server. Right now it only has 256mb of RAM, but it can be upgraded to 4gb.

I might just make my bro just buy his own copy.

aaaantoine
March 30th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I play, too.

Unfortunately the relative performance in Linux is awful. At some point since September the game has become slow to the point of unplayable on my laptop.

The game is playable but choppy on my desktop in Ubuntu (view distance Normal), but smooth as butter on the same computer in Windows (view distance Far).

Dustin2128
March 30th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Worked out of the box for me.

NCLI
March 30th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I run a server for close friends as well. I can't say that I play every day, but it's definitely the game I play the most.

I play, too.

Unfortunately the relative performance in Linux is awful. At some point since September the game has become slow to the point of unplayable on my laptop.

The game is playable but choppy on my desktop in Ubuntu (view distance Normal), but smooth as butter on the same computer in Windows (view distance Far).
Try installing Sun Java from the Partners repo. Seriously.

CBR1100XX
March 30th, 2011, 10:54 PM
and I must say, feels very fresh- not an old concept reused for the upteenth time.

I agree, Minecraft is just different. It gives you something new unlike every other game out there that's a shoot 'em up. My problem is though that I play far too much. :D

P.S.
Bought mine in alpha stage for 50% off ;)

Jagoly
March 31st, 2011, 07:05 AM
I play, too.

Works fine for me. With 1 difference: on windows, if I played minecraft for more the five minutes, my laptop would explode. Still gets my laptop very hot on ubuntu, but much less. For god's sake minecraft should be what gaming pc's are benchmarked on. Who needs crysis?

I run a server for close friends as well. I can't say that I play every day, but it's definitely the game I play the most.

Try installing Sun Java from the Partners repo. Seriously.

For me, openjdk worked much better. I at first got the sun vm (64 bit), but it ran horribly slow, and it crashed constantly. Then I opened it again and worked flawlessly. After I found out that I had opened it with openjdk accidentally. Others may get different results.

Legendary_Bibo
March 31st, 2011, 10:11 PM
Worked out of the box for me.

You suck :P
I followed several guides before I found one that worked when followed exactly.