PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with booting Ubuntu from a USB drive

Clex19
March 30th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I need help with trying out Ubuntu. I downloaded the desktop edition and created a USB drive. Then I started to reboot my computer, but after it got past the screen where I can edit the BIOS settings, it just went to a black screen and said "Boot error" or something like that. I made the USB drive first in the Boot Order. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

garvinrick4
March 30th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I need help with trying out Ubuntu. I downloaded the desktop edition and created a USB drive. Then I started to reboot my computer, but after it got past the screen where I can edit the BIOS settings, it just went to a black screen and said "Boot error" or something like that. I made the USB drive first in the Boot Order. Is there anything I can do to fix this?What did you use to make the USB drive? When you make a new one it formats the USB flash drive for you so make a new on only takes 15 minutes or so and looks like something is not to good with that one. Pain in the rear trying to diagnose boot error when
new one is easy to make, no what I mean.

Clex19
March 30th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I used the Universal USB Installer from http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer.exe .

I guess I'll try to make another one. Do I need to do anything special to take the one I have off the USB drive, or can I safely just delete all of it?

DogMatix
March 30th, 2011, 12:22 AM
My personal favorite USb creator is Unetbootin

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

You could give that a whirl

Clex19
March 30th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Okay, so I tried the Universal USB Installer and Unetbootin. It still just gives me the same black screen with "Boot error" in grey letters, and then I have to turn off my computer, pull out my USB drive, and turn my computer back on for my computer to work again.

Hedgehog1
March 30th, 2011, 01:54 AM
If your computer is new enough to have USB 3.0 ports - at this time Ubuntu will not boot off of those ports (they work fine for read/writing once you are booted).

Can you try another USB port instead?

The Hedge

:KS