PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading To A New Laptop

coljohnhannibalsmith
March 29th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hello,

My current Laptop is over four years old, with a PATA drive interface. In anticipation of purchasing a new or slightly used Laptop with a SATA interface and higher speed, I cloned my OS onto a 500GB SATA drive. I did this because I was told by the SYS Admin, at the company I used to work for, that I could just install an existing drive on a new machine, as long as the architechture was similar, and that the OS would just adapt by installing the correct drivers. Is this true or was I mislead?

As a matter of fact, I was surprised to discover that the AMD64 version will install and run on an Intel machine. I learned this while attempting to locate an Intel 64 bit version, and failing to do so, installed the AMD64 version sucessfully, in a dual boot configuration with Windows 7, on his machine.

I plan to replace my current Laptop with an Intel i5 based system, by simply installing the cloned SATA drive. Can anyone tell me if this will work?

Also, I've read that only an i7 system will take full advantage of DDR3 memory. Is this true as well?

Thanks, Hannibal