PDA

View Full Version : how to compile multiple .py into 1 .exe for windows users.

pivotraze
March 29th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hi there everyone,

I'm a relatively new programmer on linux, and a lot of my friends have stayed on Windows.

I'm developing an application that is very heavily on their interest, and they would like to see it's various stages as it gets brought up.

Here's the problem: They don't have python. I dont feel the need for them to have it, and want them to use a pre-provided .exe (not that I could convince them to install a python at all for them to run it).

Yes, the source code can be downloaded by them, and they know that, but they still want .exe :\

Now, how do I do this?

I downloaded pyinstaller and tried doing that, but it didn't compile into .exe, only an executable file for Linux

I need help here.
My .py files:
aboutDialog.py
loadsave.py
menu.py
prefDlg.py
RunMe.py (or main.py)
stkCreator.py
updateDlg.py

All of these must compile into one file that ends in .exe and is actually runnable on Windows (XP and up only)

Thanks for the help.

BTW, I downloaded the Command Line Version of py2exe but idk how to use it for a wxpython application. :\

Some Penguin
March 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/DistributingYourApplication

pivotraze
March 29th, 2011, 11:26 PM
That's how to do it on Windows... I am using Ubuntu right now.. and I need to compile it to .exe

I can't really use py2exe (in my knowledge) because it's a windows program :p

Dark_Stang
March 29th, 2011, 11:28 PM
That's how to do it on Windows... I am using Ubuntu right now.. and I need to compile it to .exe

I can't really use py2exe (in my knowledge) because it's a windows program :p

You'll need to compile it on windows.

pivotraze
March 29th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Grr. :\ What if I don't have access to a windows computer?

Dark_Stang
March 30th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Grr. :\ What if I don't have access to a windows computer?

Then tell your friends to man up and download python. They seem to be the problem anyway.

deathadder
March 30th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Either install Windows into VirtualBox to do the compilation, or make them install python... :)

102jon
March 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm sure there are hacked versions of windows you could get for free (similar to the Hackintosh) and put it on a virtual machine.