PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Any features exclusive to a clean install? 10.10 to 11.04

fenixkane
March 29th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I'm just wondering if there are any features coming in 11.04 that can't be just upgraded to from 10.10.

I'm referring to things like 9.04 to 9.10 having Grub2 and EXT4 which aren't upgraded when... upgrading and can only be gotten with a fresh install of 9.10 or higher (I think EXT4 was available in 9.04 but not default...).

I'm just trying to find out if holding off for a month would give me any notable benefits.
(Also, google didn't find this question anywhere so I guess it's my duty to ask it.)

coffeecat
March 29th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Grub and ext4 were special cases. I'm not aware of anything that will not be upgraded when you upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04. If you were thinking of upgrading now and that is your only Ubuntu installation, I would advise waiting. Natty is still (just) in Alpha. Beta 1 will be out on Thursday. The general recommendation is to use alphas and betas for testing purposes only, not as your main system and only if you have a spare machine or spare partition to test them on.

Rubi1200
March 29th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I agree with coffeecat that you should wait unless you like testing and don't mind things crashing, getting deleted, not even starting etc.

In fact, I always recommend people wait at least 2 months after final release so that any last minute bugs, stability issues, and so forth, are taken care of.

I did this with 9.10, 10.04, and 10.10.

Consequently, I have never had any of the problems seen so frequently on the forums.

Oh, and if you do plan on taking risks make sure you backup all important data first.

fenixkane
March 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the response.
I just wanted to be sure that making a new install of 10.10 was going to allow me to have the newest features through upgrading come 11.04.

Does anyone know when Btrfs is going to become the standard filesystem? Also if wayland is going to need fresh install? Might be too soon to know but it would be nice to know for future builds.

Anyway. That answered my question. Thanks.

(Now how do I mark this as solved :confused:)

coffeecat
March 29th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Does anyone know when Btrfs is going to become the standard filesystem?

Not in time for Natty, that I am sure. There has been some talk about btrfs in the Natty subforum but it still seems fairly experimental.

Also if wayland is going to need fresh install?

I shouldn't worry about Wayland just yet. I think it's little more than a gleam in sabdfl's (and others') eyes at the moment. :wink:

Rubi1200
March 29th, 2011, 09:41 PM
(Now how do I mark this as solved :confused:)

When you are in the thread > Thread Tools near the top of the page > Mark as Solved

Good luck!