PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Network best way forward

stefanjan
March 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Hi, I tried Ubuntu Network version on a USB stick on my Netbook Samsung NF210 with 2GB RAM but this does not seem to be a viable way forward to me.

Ubuntu on USB stick seems very slow to load.

When resuming seemed to throw up errors. Resuming from Windows takes 3 seconds.

I am reluctant to dual boot my netbook with Ubuntu after my experiences with my spare laptop.

Is there a safe way to install Ubuntu on a netbook to dual boot with Windows Starter?

Also wondering how I get Ubuntu to work with a 'Three' Mobile dongle?

Grenage
March 29th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hi, I tried Ubuntu Network version on a USB stick on my Netbook Samsung NF210 with 2GB RAM but this does not seem to be a viable way forward to me.

Ubuntu on USB stick seems very slow to load.

When resuming seemed to throw up errors. Resuming from Windows takes 3 seconds.

I am reluctant to dual boot my netbook with Ubuntu after my experiences with my spare laptop.

Is there a safe way to install Ubuntu on a netbook to dual boot with Windows Starter?

Also wondering how I get Ubuntu to work with a 'Three' Mobile dongle?

My other half had a Three mobile dongle, and that worked out of the box on three Ubuntu installs; have you tried it yet?

I can't speak to the USB install, but I'm not sure how hibernation or suspend would work with the OS on USB (I'd imagine badly).

While I've never used a netbook, it would be a simple process to dual-boot on a Laptop or other PC.

stefanjan
March 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM
My other half had a Three mobile dongle, and that worked out of the box on three Ubuntu installs; have you tried it yet?

I can't speak to the USB install, but I'm not sure how hibernation or suspend would work with the OS on USB (I'd imagine badly).

While I've never used a netbook, it would be a simple process to dual-boot on a Laptop or other PC.

Thanks for the fast response.

I did plug the dongle in and nothing happened. Maybe I'll try again.

My question about dual boot is because in another thread I lost Windows Vista on my spare laptop after installing Ubuntu to dual boot. One of the responses was that dual booting Ubuntu was a very bad idea.

Grenage
March 29th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the fast response.

I did plug the dongle in and nothing happened. Maybe I'll try again.

My question about dual boot is because in another thread I lost Windows Vista on my spare laptop after installing Ubuntu to dual boot. One of the responses was that dual booting Ubuntu was a very bad idea.

Dual booting is both common and fine; you just need to be very sure that you don't select 'use whole disc'. There are some excellent dual boot guides on the internet, which give you step-by-step instructions and pictures.