PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbee needs help!!!

insane_subro
March 29th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Hi Guys..... I have been using windows for centuries now..... or it feels like. Now I feel like going for something new, better. Downloaded Ubuntu 10.10... Installed (15 GB to / "root" 5 GB to swap) . every thing went well. It said restart.. Did that... now I only have a black screen that looks like CMD or the Terminal. It says Ubuntu tty1 on top. subro@ubuntu Login... keyd my login then password.. done.. then it says welcome bla bla bla and type the command .... No UI No desktop.... What went wrong. Even when I try Ubuntu without installing its the same. HELP!!!!:confused:

Krytarik
March 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Did you see any error messages?

May it be that you burned the "Alternate CD"?

Login at the console with your chosen username and password, and check if "ubuntu-desktop" is installed:

dpkg -l |grep ubuntu-desktop

insane_subro
March 29th, 2011, 07:05 AM
No error message.... I downloaded from Ubuntu website...

tiendh
March 29th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just re-install it. I guess that you made mistake when installing Ubuntu

insane_subro
March 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
4 times i re-installed... nothing happens.. black screen with white text no GUI...

safarin
March 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
You install Ubuntu desktop or Ubuntu server??

ndefontenay
March 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
If you ended up installing something with no GUI,

you still can install it now. It will download a bunch of packages and next thing you know you'll get a GUI.

We will also know if there's any mistake. Type following and press enter:

sudo apt-get install gdm

This will prompt you for a password. It's the one you've picked during the installation.

Sorry you're having a hard time trying something new (It will end up really cool once you get the GUI up!)

insane_subro
March 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks ndefontenay (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=234062)... I really appriciate it... Vl try today.. and let you know.. So it seems internet is required.. I use my phone as modem but here I cant can I?

Krytarik
March 29th, 2011, 06:11 PM
How about finally checking this!?:

Login at the console with your chosen username and password, and check if "ubuntu-desktop" is installed:

dpkg -l |grep ubuntu-desktop
Also, please post the outputs of those commands:

lsb_release -a
uname -a

alazou
March 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
It would also be interesting to know the name of your graphics do :

lspci |grep VGA

insane_subro
March 30th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I hardly understood most of the things you asked me. But I tried my level best. attaching the pictures of the result that I got.
Thanks for your help....

matt_symes
March 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hi

attaching the pictures of the result that I got.
Thanks for your help....

You have gdm installed and you have the whole desktop installed.

gdm is your log in manager where you log in and that starts your X windows session.

What happens if you type

sudo service gdm start

when you are at the last screen shot you posted above. Enter you password. It will not be echoed to the screen. That is normal. Post a screen photo of what happens and any text displayed.

Also, can you boot into the LiveCD ?

Kind regards

insane_subro
March 30th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Post a screen photo of what happens and any text displayed.

Didnt understand I am sorry to sound like an Idiot.. but u can treat me like one!!

Also, can you boot into the LiveCD ?

When I go into recovery mode and low graphics mode I get into the desktop.... Normal boot I cant. If i am not wrong Live CD=Ubunto iso CD. This is from where I installed.:(

matt_symes
March 30th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Hi

Didnt understand I am sorry to sound like an Idiot.. but u can treat me like one!!

I would never do that and you don't sound like an idiot so don't worry. :)

What i want you to do is...

Boot into normal mode, login to the console and type

sudo service gdm start

When you have typed that i want you to take a photo of the screen so i can have a look at it.

When I go into recovery mode and low graphics mode I get into the desktop.... Normal boot I cant. If i am not wrong Live CD=Ubunto iso CD. This is from where I installed.:(

That is a good sign that you can get into low graphics recovery mode. I think either gdm is not starting or is crashing. I think it's more lightly it's crashing.

I just want a screen shot after you type the above command so i can have a look.

Kind regards

alazou
March 30th, 2011, 10:24 AM

It would really help to know what's your graphic card, my guess is that there is an error whit the graphical interface and so it can't start.
If it's a non supported card it'll be tricky.

so first when you are logged in the CMD interface do :

lspci | grep VGA

you can also please include the output of

cat /var/log/boot.log

and also please

grep "EE" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Those will tell us what is going wrong with your setup.

you can also in the meantime try to bypass GDM with

startx
it should normaly start the graphical interface if the problem is GDM related