PDA

View Full Version : Skype alternitives for Ubuntu and OSX

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 04:48 AM
while on my deer naty desktop i discovered Ubuntu is no longer wanting to support Skype's addiction with messy coding and large codes
when i tried to install it it just came up "this program is not aloud to be installed do to the quality control and will not install" or something of thar effect.

so when Natty comes out I'm gonna need to change to a new type of Voip to continue talking to My GF so that I can feel luved both on the net and on the phone lol

any ideas? the Voip must effectively work on Natty And osx

papibe
March 29th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Check out Meebo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meebo). It is flash based and works on the browser, so it doesn't depend on the OS. I use it to video chat with family using MSN accounts.

Regards.

Dark_Stang
March 29th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Wow, Ubuntu isn't allowing us to install the software we choose now? If this is true I'm afraid this distro has lost me.

PCNetSpec
March 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Have you tried the "Static" version of Skype from here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/post-download/

(click on the word Static)

It *should* run from within it's own folder, without the needing for installation.

I haven't tried it, but worth a go ?

I'm with Dark_Stang on this... If this is true, I'm off too.

[EDIT]
I just found thiese:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714761
and
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714414

it seems that gdebi or dpkg WILL install the .deb packages

dmizer
March 29th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I suggest google talk, which works natively in Ubuntu with Empathy or Pidgin. According to this, it also works in Adium on OSX -> http://www.spudart.org/blogs/randomthoughts_comments/3164_0_3_0_C/

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 05:42 AM
well first off I'd like to say that as is SKype for the Buntu verse is way to clunky so I can understand why the devs dont want it on the system the Linux Clent for Skype hasn't been updated since 8.04 and it STILL has problems
Takje for instance on My Mavric system I tried to initiate webcam chat with My gf (just to give roleplayed hugs and kissess good bye (people who are in relationships might know what im talking about)) and My webcam did not activate it just activated in the middle of the avatar for my girlfriend and when she tried to activate her side all i saw was a white box

(although i was able to show her my desktop wich she immediately sayd looked a lot like osx (that was with cairo dock installed))

so seriously the Wt hey is not and should not be directed at Ubuntu but the makers of skype who every release of Skype leaves Ubuntu community behind

marl30
March 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Skype is working in this Google Chrome App: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ocaebkdojpikfmhmnekiflipcicedobi?hl=en-US

prshah
March 29th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I suggest google talk

+1 for Google Talk, also works out of the browser with the FireFox plugin.

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Oh no doubting the Skype client for Linux has problems and is suffering neglect from its developers, but its failure to install for you has nothing at all to do with a decision of Ubuntu devs. But the details, including the bug reference, are in the thread I linked to so I'll let you do the hard work of reading it yourself.

Edit: It should be noted that I wasn't particularly having a go at you (though checking the Natty section would have been a good idea), the talk of leaving Ubuntu over this was the particularly silly part.
no harm no foul
Ive been meening to switch to a more updated Voip any ways hence this thread
My minor annoyences are not at the dev team If they were i would find away to contact the dev team to express said concerns My annoyences have always been with SKype and there inabuility to fix errors that have been going on since 8.04 ubuntu (jaunty jackalope if im correct)

I meen this skype client is still the same one from Jaunty they just extended the code for newer machines

No i kinda figured it was the devs of Skypes fault

And i quite agree the leaving of Ubuntu is silly Skype has it coming to them if you ask me maybe they'll get of there rears and update the skype client for ubuntu instead of using a beta that (if i recall correctly) is well into its senior

(btw i apologize for my spelling i cant find my glassess any where and i cant read the computer as well with out them lol)

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Skype is working in this Google Chrome App: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ocaebkdojpikfmhmnekiflipcicedobi?hl=en-US
ty i really apreciate the info you have given as well as Bikers

((little dismayed that a fight broke out over this topic though I meen Really? skype has had it coming to them for a while. even if it is a bug))

Ps i got skype working through the repositories thanks Biker

Cracklepop
March 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I'm not calling anyone wrong here, because I'm honestly not sure myself, but should it be 'Skype alternatives for Ubuntu', or 'Ubuntu alternatives for Skype'?

Copper Bezel
March 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM
The former is simpler - "Skype alternatives" makes sense by itself, and "for Ubuntu" modifies it, while the other phrase has to be parsed in whole.

I'm very disappointed that Empathy integrates with Google Talk but not Google Voice, since I briefly thought I was going to get out of having either to use a browser or pay for Skype to make regular telephone calls. Looks like Skype still has its uses.

If Skype is being shunned in the Software Center despite being a Canonical Partner, something is very wrong, and I think we could all benefit from some documentation on that.

Paqman
March 29th, 2011, 10:23 AM
so when Natty comes out I'm gonna need to change to a new type of Voip

Er, Skypes's working just fine on Natty for me.

gnomeuser
March 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Er, Skypes's working just fine on Natty for me.

The problem is that new packaging conformance rules have been added and you have to force the installation of Skype to bypass them (basically their packaging needs some touch ups nothing serious).

But yeah it works just fine on Natty, and if it wasn't we would be fscked as there are no direct competitors to Skype (no, anything SIP based is not in competition, they are in trouble, including the patetic GNU Call thing which was just announced)

Johnsie
March 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Skype is definitely the best for this at the moment. Certainly for video etc. Ubuntu doesn't support video/audio over the major IM networks very well. This is the main reason Windows is my primary OS at the moment. It's been a game of catch-up ever since I started using Ubuntu in 2005 and we still haven't got very far in that time. I think the problem is that they use proprietary protocols for the multimedia and there is not alot of motivation for Ubuntu developers to reverse engineer it. This is one of the reasons I'm pushing for Android apps to work on Ubuntu... Maximising the number of active developers could help Ubuntu software fill alot of software gaps.

Copper Bezel
March 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
(no, anything SIP based is not in competition, they are in trouble, including the patetic GNU Call thing which was just announced)

What's the difference between SIP and Skype's internal protocol? I really don't know and am curious.

alaukikyo
March 29th, 2011, 01:10 PM
http://alternativeto.net/software/skype/?platform=linux&license=opensource

dh04000
March 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
ty i really apreciate the info you have given as well as Bikers

((little dismayed that a fight broke out over this topic though I meen Really? skype has had it coming to them for a while. even if it is a bug))

Ps i got skype working through the repositories thanks Biker

Yeah, its a shame people got to fight over basically nothing. Though I'm more amazing that a chrome app can use skype, but skype hasn't updated your client in over 2 years.

prshah
March 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Ubuntu doesn't support video/audio over the major IM networks very well.

This is one of the reasons I'm pushing for Android apps to work on Ubuntu

Ubuntu supports GTalk (google talk) video and voice very well. Skype works too. Then there are other SIP based solutions such as Ekiga.

Android apps are a modified form of Java. Only the kernel is true linux; apps run on the Dalvik VM.

mikewhatever
March 29th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Does Google Talk audio/video chat works for anyone? I've been testing the plugin ever since it was released in August 2010 or so, but it hasn't worked so far, just keeps crashing.

prshah
March 29th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Does Google Talk audio/video chat works for anyone?

Works very well for me, from the gmail site (i've never used it in any other situation/manner).

beew
March 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM
This thread begins as FUD but then there are useful information comes out from it nevertheless.

Now my question is how do you switch to alternatives when pretty much everyone you know uses Skype?

I use Skype to coordinate with colleagues and my boss and they all use Skype. I want to be wrong but I think the only way to connect to them would be to use Skype because the Skype protocol is closed.

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 09:31 PM
this thread begins as fud but then there are useful information comes out from it nevertheless.

Now my question is how do you switch to alternatives when pretty much everyone you know uses skype?

I use skype to coordinate with colleagues and my boss and they all use skype. I want to be wrong but i think the only way to connect to them would be to use skype because the skype protocol is closed.
fud?

beew
March 29th, 2011, 09:33 PM
fud?

Yeah, that bit about Canonical not allowing you to install Skype. Read the exchange on the first page.

Opps, just realized you are the guy who started the FUD. :)

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, that bit about Canonical not allowing you to install Skype. Read the exchange on the first page.

Opps, just realized you are the guy who started the FUD. :)
no i dont understand the acronym is

beew
March 29th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Fear Uncertainty and Doubt, something like false alarm based on misinformation, unfound rumour or conclusions reached in haste. :)

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Fear Uncertainty and Doubt, something like false alarm based on misinformation, unfound rumour or conclusions reached in haste. :)
my guess was effed up debate lol

uRock
March 29th, 2011, 09:55 PM
while on my deer naty desktop i discovered Ubuntu is no longer wanting to support Skype's addiction with messy coding and large codes
when i tried to install it it just came up "this program is not aloud to be installed do to the quality control and will not install" or something of thar effect.

so when Natty comes out I'm gonna need to change to a new type of Voip to continue talking to My GF so that I can feel luved both on the net and on the phone lol

any ideas? the Voip must effectively work on Natty And osx

Have you filed a bug report? Have you asked about this in the Natty sub-forum or are you asuming that because it will not work on an alpha release that it will not work on the final release? I highly doubt they would ever block end users from installing software on an official release.

kitsuneclem
March 29th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Have you filed a bug report? Have you asked about this in the Natty sub-forum or are you asuming that because it will not work on an alpha release that it will not work on the final release? I highly doubt they would ever block end users from installing software on an official release.
I assumed nothing I just figured that the error message was just that telling me i cant install a program because the code is to long/ to messy and really i wouldnt be surprised if skypes Code is to long/ to messy

I had no doubts in my mind that Conical wasn't gonna start Pulling a stunt where they could pcik and choose what you could install I just thought that Conical was giving a nice clear hint to the skype people that they need to pick up the slack

and i am trully sorry for saying this But the people at skype really do need to pick up the slack theyve been useing the same stuff since 8.10 ubuntu and thats not right

sorry for causeing a FUD that was not my inntention It was poor wording on my part especialy since i dont have my seeing glassess

sorry my bad it was clearly a misunderstanding of all parties I didnt word MY OP properly enough That gets me in alot of trouble alot of the time as people missunderstand what i am trying to say

alot of what i said in the original post was sort of in jest sort of not It was merely a vice to get info that i needed that wouldnt be proper to ask somewhere else in the forum

again Sorry for causing a FUD

My bad

treesurf
March 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Does Google Talk audio/video chat works for anyone? I've been testing the plugin ever since it was released in August 2010 or so, but it hasn't worked so far, just keeps crashing.

It works quite well for me. There is a rumor going around that Google may integrate SIP into the Google Voice service, which would be great. This would make sense, as they are stopping service in a few days for Gizmo5 users.

gnomeuser
March 30th, 2011, 05:17 PM
What's the difference between SIP and Skype's internal protocol? I really don't know and am curious.

They are two very different protocols, but basically the problem is that the SIP specification is inherently insecure and every implementation of it is trivially easy to hack.

Skype does not have this problem, also unlike SIP it is a P2P design.

But really it is too big a question to be answered quickly. My point is more that SIP is a poor choice for a competitor to Skype. It is insecure by design and it fails to match Skype for generating a high quality connection, at zero effort on the part of the user. (Skype will do some pretty borderline evil things in the attempt to reach an open port and if it fails there is still a Skype supernode - basically another Skype user with an open port - through which it will route the call.)

Paddy Landau
March 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Skype is definitely the best for this at the moment.
Yep, that's true. I also find it easier to send SMS (text messages) via Skype instead of a fiddly mobile phone.

Skype works fine for me on Linux, but I would feel much more at ease if Skype would pay more attention to the Linux platform. I guess most of Skype's money comes from businesses, which tend to use Windows.