PDA

View Full Version : Filling Out the OpenOffice.org Uninstallation Survey

chessnerd
March 29th, 2011, 04:40 AM
So I just filled out my last of 4 OpenOffice.org uninstallation surveys for my Windows installs. Each one contained the same information: I'm moving to LibreOffice.

I'm curious to see if you guys have also been filling out this survey when you were trading OpenOffice for LibreOffice. Personally, I think it'd be great to have Oracle see thousands of surveys where people are stating openly that they are migrating to LibreOffice so that they can see that LibreOffice is the real deal and not just the product of disgruntled former OOo contributors.

So, when "upgrading" to LibreOffice on your Windows installs, have you also let Oracle know that you are migrating away from them?

scouser73
March 29th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Didn't fill it out.

NightwishFan
March 29th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Do not have any Windows installs. However I would be happy to inform them I was moving if I did.

rg4w
March 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
What exactly did Oracle actually do to warrant all the expense of forking OOo?

owiknowi
March 29th, 2011, 07:33 AM
don't use windos but a nice message to oracle is that more and more linux distro's are now using libre office by default.

for those who don't know:
http://www.libreoffice.org/

Copper Bezel
March 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
1. Is it bad that I'm still using OpenOffice specifically because my dock knows how to sort the icons, and wouldn't for LO?

2. Does the preview screenshot slideshow on the LO home page always show shots from Ubuntu Unity, even when viewing the page on a Windows machine, or am I just seeing that because my browser is recognized as Linux?

owiknowi
March 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
1. no, use whatever you want. but this is just a personal point of view.
personally i try only to work with open and free software -or information- and hence switched to l.o. which is community based.
2. don't know which browser you use but in some web browsers you can choose what browser-id is send to a website (or even send no id at all with a ff-add-on).

Copper Bezel
March 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Okay, done, and yes, they're pushing Ubuntu specifically and I like them. = )

LowSky
March 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
What exactly did Oracle actually do to warrant all the expense of forking OOo?

Oracle has a nasty reputation for killing free software that it has some interest (ownership) in.

Part of this mess with OpenOffice.org started a long time ago under the Sun leadership, like they slow time between updates (version 4 was supposed to out already), poor management of code, and confusion between the community and Sun developers on what was whose responsibility. When Oracle took over they demanded a more unified command role, and for the developers to agree to Oracle complete leadership. Many of the community felt a fork was best and jumped ship and took what code was freely available and reverse engineered what they needed.

To be fair most distros do not use vanilla openoffice. Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSuse all use Novell's version that allows better macro support and MS Office support.

owiknowi
March 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
and for those who don't need a lot of advanced features, a few alternatives:
- abiword is an excellent word processor (takes up just a little space and is fast and solid)
- gnummeric can do as most spreadsheets do
- koffice the official office suite from kde (rather complete and nice looking for that matter)

don't you just love those big software guys and their everlasting struggles?
all money for nothing to me...

Frogs Hair
March 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I continue to use OO on windows and will use what Ubuntu provides on the next release . As much as I may not like Oracle they now own OO and I'm in no position to tell them what they should do with their property. but I can refuse to use their products.