PDA

View Full Version : Windowmaker Users

TheFourElements
May 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Are there any other windowmaker users on these forums? I find we're a rare breed in these forums.

bonzodog
May 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
There are a few of us, I am going to request this thread be moved to the Cafe. There is a windowmaker thread in there asking about users. I used windowmaker for years, but recently have switched to xfce. There are a number of us hidden in here that would be able to help with any queries regarding windowmaker. There are also a few of us working on the gnustep project hanging around.

mips
May 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I have it installed but havent used it yet. Some guides on customization with screenshots would be nice.

For now I'm getting me Kubuntu Dapper up to a workable desktop from my fresh install.

TheFourElements
May 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM
If you use windowmaker you can use "wmakerconf" to just about fully customize it's appearance. Also, you can get tons of kickass themes from http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/918/

BWF89
May 7th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I have a question you WindowMaker people might know.

I noticed there isn't a minimize taskbar in WindowMaker like there is in Gnomes Metacity, is it possible to minimize windows in WindowMaker or do they minimize as blocks like the rest of the icons on your desktop? Or do they just minimize as a bar like they do in Mac OS9?

TheFourElements
May 7th, 2006, 11:07 PM
They minimize as icons on the bottom of your screen

grenier
June 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
Hey, I'm not alone in having Windowmaker as my choice environment.

Problem in Ubuntu is that they have the default debian menu which makes it a pain in the *** to use. I ran under hoary for a few month until I gave up - fed up with gnome - and went back to mandriva. It has issues, but at least WM is mostly integrated in the distro. I decided to try ubuntu again and just installed Dapper.

I have yet to log under Wm (still installing missing apps), but I hope I won't have such a hard time.

By the way, anybody know how to easily import the apps and system menu in Wm?

bluevoodoo1
June 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM
I have it installed but havent used it yet

Same here.

graabein
June 2nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Hey nice avatar FourElements! Don't know who's who but I thought it was that other guy that posted, he who has a picture of himself and his gf/wife! :-D

I'm no Window Maker expert I've used it a bit though and I like it. I've also used openbox 3 but I mainly stick with gnome.

darkmatter
June 2nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I have a question you WindowMaker people might know.

I noticed there isn't a minimize taskbar in WindowMaker like there is in Gnomes Metacity, is it possible to minimize windows in WindowMaker or do they minimize as blocks like the rest of the icons on your desktop? Or do they just minimize as a bar like they do in Mac OS9?

They normally minimize as mini windows (the little tiles/blocks)... but you can turn thet off in the preferences panel... and just use the middle click menu.

Alternatively... if you have a docked icon for an app... you can right click the titlebar or the icon and choose the 'hide' option.

encompass
September 2nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
I love windowmaker for it's powerful menu system. Easy to work with and I use the Open Directory feature to open my files up. Very nice I don't even use a file manager anymore... any changes I have to make outside of the WM menu I have to do with a console becasue it is faster than a filemanager anyway.

Iesos
December 1st, 2006, 07:16 AM
WindowMaker is my favorite!

I started using Linux a year ago, found it interesting and got tired of gnome after say one or two months. Changed to windowmaker. It was a hard time in the begning since when I asked for help all I got was "No beginner uses WindowMaker!", guess I'm the first one. ;)
Having a windowmanager that is so fast is wonderful! I realized that it is so fast that you can login and logout in under 10 seconds, and that windowmaker consider such an action as windowmaker must have crached :D .

I do have a question, I have just reinstalled ubuntu and I don't want to browse my backup's, so can anyone help me to find where and how to make an autostart script for windowmaker?

graabein
December 1st, 2006, 09:13 AM
I played around with an old and busted laptop and think I did something similar there, adding openbox or windowmaker to gdm menu. Try this link (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=74433).

I've only been using my main box with gnome lately but after christmas I'm going on holiday for three weeks and I was thinking of bringing my old laptop. I have to set it up with lightweight internet applications and chess and maybe windowmaker in addition to openbox.