PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Install, without Internet Connection

RichardC400
March 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I have a Dell Latitude CPi R400XT
Bios Revision A13

There is XP professional installed on to it.
It was given to me as a hand-me-down.
The battery doesnt work, and the touch pad doesnt work so i have a usb mouse in.

The problem is; It doesn't have a RJ45/11 port.
My internet is a wired network so i connect with an RJ45 cable.
The Laptop at the moment won't let me install a USB modem because of "Administrator privileges" although i checked, and the account was an administrator account, so i don't know whats happening there.

At the moment however, it wont go past the bios. not even far enough to enter the bios settings.
Is there a way i can install any version of Ubuntu onto it, that doesn't require an internet connection, so that i can install the modem afterwards and do all the updates then rather than at the installation.

JRV
March 28th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Can you burn the live CD on a different machine and then boot it from the CD?

stefangr1
March 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I have a Dell Latitude CPi R400XT
Bios Revision A13

There is XP professional installed on to it.
It was given to me as a hand-me-down.
The battery doesnt work, and the touch pad doesnt work so i have a usb mouse in.

The problem is; It doesn't have a RJ45/11 port.
My internet is a wired network so i connect with an RJ45 cable.
The Laptop at the moment won't let me install a USB modem because of "Administrator privileges" although i checked, and the account was an administrator account, so i don't know whats happening there.

At the moment however, it wont go past the bios. not even far enough to enter the bios settings.
Is there a way i can install any version of Ubuntu onto it, that doesn't require an internet connection, so that i can install the modem afterwards and do all the updates then rather than at the installation.

You can use the installer cd without an internet connection, so you're problem is how to get the cd booting. A simple yet effective solution would be to take the harddisk out, put it in another computer, install Ubuntu on it, and then put it back. Opposite to windows, Linux has all drivers build into the kernel.