PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome vs. XFCE

galacticaboy
March 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I know I have said Gnome all the way, but now that I think about it, XFCE is not that bad. SO I would like to know some of the differences between Gnome and XFCE, Xubuntu may be pretty good for my system.

20GB Hard Drive
512MB Ram
Pentium 4

So how will it fare with my system, what are some advantages to XFCE?

Thanks,
David

jhargis1012
March 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hi there.

I would go with Lubuntu over Xubuntu, if you're looking for a truly lightweight option.

Check out this Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu). It has some interesting things to say about Xubuntu.

galacticaboy
March 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I do not like the LXDE desktop, Lubuntu is ugly and reminds me of Windows, Lubuntu is out of the question for me! Thanks though!

Krytarik
March 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
The advantage is simply that it's far more lightweight than Gnome or KDE.
The disadvantage is however the result of those.

Why don't you just see it for yourself?!

Just install the metapackage "xfce4" alongside to Gnome, it doesn't contain all the stuff which would be in a "xubuntu" installation, but that's exactly the advantage of it if you want to try it first.

Greetings.

KegHead
March 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi!

I'm testing Xubuntu 11.04 and love it!

I might install on all of my machines..it's fast and provides a little more real estate.

KegHead

galacticaboy
March 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I think I am going to try out Xubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 on my PC...

Tethtibis
April 14th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I agree, Lubuntu is nice and fast, but not the way to go. especially for a person who likes to customize and be a bit minimalistic.

My recommendation is to take a fresh *any*buntu install, and run these commands.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce

the problem with Xubuntu is that it's ubuntu with xfce pasted on, so a lot of ubuntu stuff is still running in the background, sucking resources. whereas if you strip it down, like the link suggests, you get a streamlined xubuntu that rivals the speed of lubuntu.

*only for power users or above who like getting their hands dirty, though*

sldavid
April 15th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Just installed xubuntu 11.04 beta 2 and I'm really liking it. I say give this one a try. I'm testing it in VirtualBox on an old Dell Latitude D800 and it's running nice.

mahmudinashar
April 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Just installed xubuntu 11.04 beta 2 and I'm really liking it. I say give this one a try. I'm testing it in VirtualBox on an old Dell Latitude D800 and it's running nice.

yatai yatai .. my problem solved !!

XubuRoxMySox
April 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
the problem with Xubuntu is that it's ubuntu with xfce pasted on, so a lot of ubuntu stuff is still running in the background, sucking resources.

That possibly was true 2 years ago or more, but Xubuntu is not Ubuntu with Xfce tied on! The default applications are different (and in Natty they are much lighter), the standard setup is much different, lotsa things are very different.

But even if Xubuntu was "just Ubuntu with Xfce tied on," it would run faster and lighter, except for all the heavier applications that Ubuntu uses by default. In Xubuntu you'll find Abiword and Gnumeric in place of LibreOffice, Exaile in place of Rhythmbox, Xfburn in place of Brasero, etc.

"Ubuntu with Xfce tied on" would take alot more storage space on your HDD than Xubuntu does! Try Natty out, you'll see how much it has trimmed down! It's lean and mean and fast on my old hand-me-down 'puter. It has made me a Xubuntu fanboy!

-Robin