PDA

View Full Version : I broke ties with OpenOffice today, and un-installed it.

irv
March 28th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Well today was the day I completely remove Open Office from my system. I am going to stay with LibreOffice 3.3 because it is Open Source. It will be the one that will improve as time goes on. It will be the one to come with the next release of Ubuntu so why not make it my office of choice.

idef1x
March 28th, 2011, 02:37 AM
I changed 2 weeks ago to LibreOffice...works like a charm :-)

mamamia88
March 28th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I just use google docs most of the time. that way if i forget my flash drive or format it for use with unetbootin on my netbook i have a copy i can print on campus

NightwishFan
March 28th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Libreoffice is in Debian Testing now so I am using it. Version 3.4 already looks promising, I cant wait for it to land. :)

Dark_Stang
March 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
You guys know that LibreOffice is just the new OpenOffice, right? But I do agree with you... anything that Oracle touches will turn into a steaming heap of crap. MySQL is making me nervous too, so I've been looking into PostreSQL.

3rdalbum
March 28th, 2011, 02:43 AM
To be fair, Ubuntu didn't use plain Openoffice.org - it used a branch called Go-OO. And Go-OO became LibreOffice. So really, you've just upgraded to a later version of the same software. Both are open-source.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I am just wondering how to use Libreoffice to open documents within browsers. With openoffice it does it automatically once Mozplugger is installed but I don't know how to configure Mozpluggerrc to do that with LO. I switched to LO in Lucid months ago but still cannot open documents in firefox or Opera. (I am going to compare Mozpluggerrc in Lucid and Natty and see if I can find the trick)

irv
March 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I am just wondering how to use Libreoffice to open documents within browsers. With openoffice it does it automatically once Mozplugger is installed but I don't know how to configure Mozpluggerrc to do that with LO. I switched to LO in Lucid months ago but still cannot open documents in firefox or Opera. (I am going to compare Mozpluggerrc in Lucid and Natty and see if I can find the trick)
Are you talking about opening an attachment? They work just fine with Libroffice. And if I have to view a doc or odt file in a browser I use google doc.

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I went to install it and got a bunch of .debs. I didn't know which one to install so I stopped there. I found the PPA so I'm installing it now.

Exodist
March 28th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I dont think OpenOffice will crash and burn by any means. But currently LibreOffice does offer some compatibility fixes with M$ Office files that OOo doesn't.

I have Libre installed and its working very good.

But on a sad personnel note. It seems that many people that were now just getting used to the idea of OOo and now going to be directed to try Libre. Which will lead to more confusion and discontent.

Even I wasnt aware of the difference and reason to switch to Libre until I did some research this weekend. Most other people want bother.. They just want a name they can "trust" and that works.

Exodist
March 28th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I went to install it and got a bunch of .debs. I didn't know which one to install so I stopped there. I found the PPA so I'm installing it now.

readme files are awesome.. :-)

sudo dpkg -i *

then change to desktop integration folder and repeat the top command.

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 03:04 AM
readme files are awesome.. :-)

sudo dpkg -i *

then change to desktop integration folder and repeat the top command.

Real men don't use READMEs

Exodist
March 28th, 2011, 03:05 AM
real men don't use readmes
lol.. :-)

beew
March 28th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Are you talking about opening an attachment? They work just fine with Libroffice. And if I have to view a doc or odt file in a browser I use google doc.

No, I mean viewing a doc or ppt file inline (embedded in the browser) without downloading and saving. It is like this link.
http://www.issen.org.uk/PPoint_files/Gravity.ppt

In Natty the link just opens up (with LO), same with Maverick (with OOO), but not in Lucid where I also have installed LO (and remove OOO). I think I need to edit Mozpluggerrc in some ways.

Quadunit404
March 28th, 2011, 03:29 AM
In the LibreOffice PPA there should be a Mozilla plugin (don't worry, it works with all the browsers!) available. Try searching for libreoffice-mozilla in <insert package manager of choice here>.

irv
March 28th, 2011, 03:31 AM
No, I mean viewing a doc or ppt file inline (embedded in the browser) without downloading and saving. It is like this link.
http://www.issen.org.uk/PPoint_files/Gravity.ppt

In Natty the link just opens up (with LO), same with Maverick (with OOO), but not in Lucid where I also have installed LO (and remove OOO). I think I need to edit Mozpluggerrc in some ways.

OK, I see what you mean. It does not open for me either in Fire fox or Opera because it is a MS Office power point file. I can open it with LibreOffice, but not in the browser.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 03:45 AM
OK, I see what you mean. It does not open for me either in Fire fox or Opera because it is a MS Office power point file. I can open it with LibreOffice, but not in the browser.

Nothing to do with it being MS, Libreoffice in Natty opens the link, OpenOffice in Mav does too. I should look for the Mozilla plugin for LibreOffice like Quadunit404 said or figure out how to edit mozpluggerrc.

irv
March 28th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Nothing to do with it being MS, Libreoffice in Natty opens the link, OpenOffice in Mav does too. I should look for the Mozilla plugin for LibreOffice like Quadunit404 said or figure out how to edit mozpluggerrc.

I looked for the plugin in the package manager but I didn't find it.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Ok it is Mozplugger. In Natty the Libreoffice mozilla plugin is not even installed yet it opens doc and ppt links with no problem.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I looked for the plugin in the package manager but I didn't find it.

The package is called Mozilla-Libreoffice, but like I said it is not even installed in Natty.

irv
March 28th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Ok it is Mozplugger. In Natty the Libreoffice mozilla plugin is not even installed yet it opens doc and ppt links with no problem.

I have Mozplugger installed but doc and ppt links will not open. I am running Maverick Meerkat 10.10.

galacticaboy
March 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Good for you! Be proud, be free, be LIBRE! Go LibreOffice all the way!

Well today was the day I completely remove Open Office from my system. I am going to stay with LibreOffice 3.3 because it is Open Source. It will be the one that will improve as time goes on. It will be the one to come with the next release of Ubuntu so why not make it my office of choice.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I have Mozplugger installed but doc and ppt links will not open. I am running Maverick Meerkat 10.10.

In Mav doc and ppt links would open if you run OpenOffice instead of libraoffice, but in Natty it opens with LibreOffice. I think Mozpluggrrc (Mozplugger's configuration file) must have changed. I want to use LibreOffice in Mav as well so I am trying to find out what are the differences and change Mozpluggerrc in Mav accordingly.

uRock
March 28th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I use OpenOffice from the site. Works great. I also use MS Office via Hotmail for anything that has to be in docx format.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 04:09 AM
I use OpenOffice from the site. Works great. I also use MS Office via Hotmail for anything that has to be in docx format.

LibreOffice and OpenOffice is ok with opening docx formats too, better than MSO2003 with the compatibility plugin. There may be some occasional problems with saving to docx but I have not encounter any situation where the recipients insist the documents have to be in docx (or xlsx) so as a rule we send out all documents in doc format at work (they use MSO2003 or MSO 2007 but for their purpose they can easily use LibreOffice or OOO instead)

Dustin2128
March 28th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I usually either use libreoffice or koffice, but would also have used go-oo simply for compatibility.

beew
March 28th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I usually either use libreoffice or koffice, but would also have used go-oo simply for compatibility.

Go-oo has been absorbed into LibreOffice, the project has terminated.
http://go-oo.org/

Go-oo joins forces with LibreOffice

Go-oo shares much of its goals and philosophy with The Document Foundation's (http://documentfoundation.org/) LibreOffice project, we're therefore supporting LibreOffice since it's inception, and are in the process of merging most of our patches over, as well as migrating to Document Foundation infrastructure. Going forward, the Go-oo project will be discontinued in favor of LibreOffice.

Dustin2128
March 28th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Go-oo has been absorbed into LibreOffice, the project has terminated.
http://go-oo.org/
I know.

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 08:20 AM
LibreOffice and OpenOffice is ok with opening docx formats too, better than MSO2003 with the compatibility plugin. There may be some occasional problems with saving to docx but I have not encounter any situation where the recipients insist the documents have to be in docx (or xlsx) so as a rule we send out all documents in doc format at work (they use MSO2003 or MSO 2007 but for their purpose they can easily use LibreOffice or OOO instead)

If I honestly ever have to use MS Office, and I'm too lazy to find my laptop I just have to login to my school's website and use it through Citrix.

stmiller
March 29th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I wish libreoffice had a better name. FireOffice? OfficeOpen?

chessnerd
March 29th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I wish libreoffice had a better name. FireOffice? OfficeOpen?

The Document Foundation wants Oracle to donate the OpenOffice.org name to the LibreOffice project. The name LibreOffice will be discontinued if/when Oracle surrenders the trademark to the Document Foundation.

Q: And why are you calling the software "LibreOffice" instead of "OpenOffice.org"?

A: The OpenOffice.org trademark is owned by Oracle Corporation. Our hope is that Oracle will donate this to the Foundation, along with the other assets it holds in trust for the Community, in due course, once legal etc issues are resolved. However, we need to continue work in the meantime - hence "LibreOffice" ("free office").

- http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq

That said, I actually think FireOffice sounds pretty cool and I see by a quick Google search that it doesn't exist. Hmm...