PDA

View Full Version : Good 27" monitors.

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I'm putting this here because asking about quality of a monitor doesn't fit in the other forum that is for errors.

So I'm was looking for peoples opinions on some monitors. I was thinking of a 27 inch so I put that in the title. I was wondering about peoples general feel about the quality etc or issues with them in general.(not linux ones just the monitors themselves) if they are good or not. just how people feel about them.

I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236101
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

I'm a little sick so you'll have to excuse me sounding overly critical about it. That is more me trying to think to type anything about it. My head is so full of snot or something I can't think to ask things how I want to.. 8) are these any good compared to other ones. I'm looking for honest opinions on the monitors if you get what i"m asking for. do you like them etc are other ones better for some reason. Trying to not make it sound like I"m asking very tightly about it(if that makes any sense.) sorry, like i said I'm a bit sick and I think it makes people answer rigidly because they think I expect some expert answer because of how I type when I'm like this. 8p ( I overtype things when I should just ask more simply cause I can't think)

I think I know how to put it. lol

"Are these any good?"
or "How are these monitors?"

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I have this (http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic%252019s-VX2739WM-27-Inch-1920x1080-Monitor/dp/B003GBRXKU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301268660&sr=8-1). I got it when it was $300, and got some $70 speakers that were on sale for $40. I don't think you're going to notice the difference visually, but your wallet will.

I'm trying to get HDMI on my laptop to work though, but VGA looks fine right now.

Cracklepop
March 28th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Low resolution (1080p) especially for 27'', 2ms response means it's probably TN, so better for twitch gaming but perhaps not quite as pretty as IPS (according to videophiles, that is. I can't see any difference).

At $350 it looks like a great deal. I'm tempted myself...

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Do you think the viewsonic will be better view wise than the other asus ones? I noticed the viewsonic has 58W with38W low power. The Asus' have 48W/2w/. I wonder if that is good or bad outside of power managment.

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 01:02 AM
They are definitely TN's. I think the whole lot available at 27" on newegg is TN except like one or two at that price. There is a non TN but I can't find it or can't remember which company it was. I was last looking before Christmas as a present to myself.

Cracklepop
March 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Do you think the viewsonic will be better view wise than the other asus ones? I noticed the viewsonic has 58W with38W low power. The Asus' have 48W/2w/. I wonder if that is good or bad outside of power managment.

The Asus are LED backlit, the VS is traditional fluro, hence the wattage difference.

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 01:03 AM

I checked out some other ones, and honestly I don't notice a difference. It's not that much more power consumption so I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using it for daily activities and even some gaming I would recommend it. I don't see any reason to pay more for IPS panels especially for that "better black" which I don't really notice.

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Anyone know if there are any companies nice enough to be selling stuff at that price and size that just natively have the 120 hertz needed for 3D? Like just because they believe in quality and use that much.(AKA we build it because we don't know what you will need it for so we put everything in we can.) 8) I know Asus and everyone has like up to 23" or 24" but I was curious if there are any of those good really old fashion companies left That just make stuff to make it as good as possible and for good prices. Or go way beyond?

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 01:17 AM
The Asus are LED backlit, the VS is traditional fluro, hence the wattage difference.

Is the baclick better than the fLuro?

Cracklepop
March 28th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Is the baclick better than the fLuro?

All LCD screen are LCDs at the front, and some form of backlighting behind. Until recently the backlighting has been fluro tubes, but LED backlighting is pretty common now (and to add to the confusion they call LED backlit LCDs 'LED' monitors, when they are in fact the same old LCD we're used to...)

LED backlighting is thinner and more economical (and possibly slightly more expensive), which makes it better IMHO.

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 01:41 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119

I guess Asus finally has an IPS on newegg. way to much. but it's the same price as the 120H 3d monitor. Which I swore was on sale before Christmas for the 350 range with the goggles. Maybe I should have bought them....

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 03:08 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119

I guess Asus finally has an IPS on newegg. way to much. but it's the same price as the 120H 3d monitor. Which I swore was on sale before Christmas for the 350 range with the goggles. Maybe I should have bought them....

I also have my PS3 hooked up to my monitor, and I'll admit I had to tweak some color settings, but once I did things looked great. I also save my self $300.

If you have the money, get the IPS panel, but you're paying a heavy amount for that little bit of improvement IMO.

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I'm putting this here because asking about quality of a monitor doesn't fit in the other forum that is for errors.

So I'm was looking for peoples opinions on some monitors. I was thinking of a 27 inch so I put that in the title. I was wondering about peoples general feel about the quality etc or issues with them in general.(not linux ones just the monitors themselves) if they are good or not. just how people feel about them.

I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236101
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

Would the 50 ore mot bucks for the webcam one with extra brightness be worth it? I'm not sure what the difference is besides the stats. One has 10,000,000:1 contrast and the other has a more modest number? is there any differnce between those two? I'm not sure what that means. Do they have differnt parts in them that matter to anyones knowledge? Anyone know if these are all usable with linux?

Legendary_Bibo
March 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Would the 50 ore mot bucks for the webcam one with extra brightness be worth it? I'm not sure what the difference is besides the stats. One has 10,000,000:1 contrast and the other has a more modest number? is there any differnce between those two? I'm not sure what that means. Do they have differnt parts in them that matter to anyones knowledge? Anyone know if these are all usable with linux?

FYI, built in extras like webcams and speakers are horrible. My monitor has built in speakers, but they were just terrible. The audio sounded more like an echo. You'll have to get dedicated accessories pretty much unless you can live with crap.

Newuser901
March 28th, 2011, 08:59 AM
FYI, built in extras like webcams and speakers are horrible. My monitor has built in speakers, but they were just terrible. The audio sounded more like an echo. You'll have to get dedicated accessories pretty much unless you can live with crap.

I think I can live with crap with the speakers(I have a webcam too already. wasn't sure if the other parts might be worth more outside of the obvious things they try to present with specs etc.). 8) I bought 7.1s and they ultimately were crap with the problems they can get. The speakers will technically be a convenience. but i have tons of little stereo speakers laying around to try. Darn gigaworks and their amp problems..... 8(... they are still all around me but the amp/subwoofer is unplugged. Oh, well they probably were using to0 much electricity anyway.hehe