PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Batch to delete files under 7 KB size in one folder

ITC
March 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hi.

I have no ideas about writing batch scripts so i will ask you at this great forum for some help.

I like to have a batch file/script the will remove/delete files under 7 KB from a folder.
I run a AssaultCube server and the demos stored that are under 7 KB i do not need.

So i like a script to delete all demos under 7 KB every hour.

The server stores demos in /home/username/.games/1.1.0.4/demos/serverdemos
The demos are ending with .dmo

So, can anyone pls write this script for me and tell me how to use it?

Thanks.

MadCow108
March 27th, 2011, 10:29 PM
use

find /folder/ -size -7k -type f -delete
or similar as a cronjob
http://adminschoice.com/crontab-quick-reference

test without -delete before using!!

sisco311
March 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM
EDIT:
MadCow108 beat me to it. :)

You could use the find command. Check out this howto: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/UsingFind

find /home/username/.games/1.1.0.4/demos/serverdemos -iname '*.dmo' -size -7k -type f -print
will print the files. If you want to delete them, replace the -print option with -delete.

EDIT: the -iname test comes before the -type and -size tests in order to avoid having to call stat(2) on every file.
[/EDIT]

You can create a cron job to run the command every hour:
community/CronHowto

ITC
March 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks a lot for the quick responses.

Ill give this a try.

I can see the commands will work, but im a noob so i may be coming back for some more help.

:)

Edit: So, this is what i got now:
00 * * * * find /home/username/.games/1.1.0.4/demos/serverdemos -size -7k -iname '*.dmo' -type f -delete

This i added using crontab -e
Of course username is changed to my username.

Can someone confirm this will delete all .dmo files under 7K in the path?

Thx again.

sisco311
March 28th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I tested the command before posting it, so it should work. :)

find by default operates recursively which means that the command will remove any .dmo file under 7k from serverdemos and its subdirectories. If you don't want to delete .dmo files from the subdirectories, then use the -maxdepth 1 option.

Also check out my edit in my previous post. To make the command more efficient, you should put the -iname test before the -size test.

I don't have much experience with cron, but as far as I tell it should work. But it's a good practice to specify the full path to a command in cron:

0 * * * * /usr/bin/find /path -options

ITC
March 28th, 2011, 01:02 AM
So, this is what i added with crontab -e

# m h dom mon dow command
0 * * * * /usr/bin/find /home/username/.games/1.1.0.4/demos/serverdemos -iname '*.dmo' -size -7k -type f -delete

And this will delete all .dmo files under 7KB (7000b) from the path?
Again, username is of course set to my username.

There are no subfolders in serverdemos, the only thing stored there are demos from the server.

Thanks again for all the help.

Edit: Guess i cet set this thread as solved.