PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone "unlocking" is the biggest scam ever

debiansu
March 27th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Mobile phone "unlocking" is the biggest scam ever!

Everywhere you go, there are tacky little websites and physical shops or market stalls, offering this "unlocking service" which the mobile phone networks inflict upon us - their customers. I understand that these handsets are subsidised, but the fact is that if their deals WERE as good as they say they are, then we could be supplied SIM-free unlocked mobile handsets, and they could rest assured that their tariff is good, so we won't be tempted to move.

What annoys me incredibly, is that this unlocking information should be made available for most mobile handsets free. Instead, there is a massive business out there, people who leech incredible amounts of money from people, when they could be liberating them from the SIM locks, for the benefit of the public against these greedy corporations.

My point? freedom is freedom, and it should be so, that we are not forced into using one network provider, with the only alternative being to PAY for the information that these money mad hackers and GSM sites hide with incredible amounts of greed and envy - it is wrong! The public should not be SIM locked, but for the moment, we should be investing time and effort into making totally free solutions that liberate us, without this whole mobile handset unlocking services market being allowed to exist. There should be free software tools to do these jobs, and to unshackle us from the restrictions of hardware WE HAVE BOUGHT, AND OWN. It seems equivalent to dictating what OS someone should run on their PC - ridiculous and dictatorial.

If you want freedom, then this is also an aspect of freedom that needs addressing, badly.

ugm6hr
March 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I live in the UK.
I am perfectly entitled to take advantage of a "SIM only" deal, and pay less for my mobile phone subscription without a phone. The deals are available for 1 month, 12 month, or longer, and get cheaper the longer you commit to (as you might expect).
As it happens, my network provider offered me a good deal if I signed up for 18 months, with an included phone. So I took it.
If I valued my "freedom" - I would have said no.
If you find it easier... Consider yourself to be leasing the phone until your contract expires. Or say no to the inclusive phone, and buy one that is unlocked from the outset.

debiansu
March 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I live in the UK.
I am perfectly entitled to take advantage of a "SIM only" deal, and pay less for my mobile phone subscription without a phone. The deals are available for 1 month, 12 month, or longer, and get cheaper the longer you commit to (as you might expect).
As it happens, my network provider offered me a good deal if I signed up for 18 months, with an included phone. So I took it.
If I valued my "freedom" - I would have said no.
If you find it easier... Consider yourself to be leasing the phone until your contract expires. Or say no to the inclusive phone, and buy one that is unlocked from the outset.

I also live in the UK, and I own three PAYG phones, all of which I purchased on PAYG. I shall never have a contract, and be indebted to "the man" - no thanks. I get a new phone when I want, not when some contract dictates I am "entitled" to it. I am entitled whenever I so desire. :)

My point is SIM locks, not being tied into contracts.

RiceMonster
March 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Just give it a rest and make an account called glossywhite2

TeoBigusGeekus
March 27th, 2011, 10:45 PM

Hey... Where's that guy? I miss him. He was a good laugh...

RiceMonster
March 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hey... Where's that guy? I miss him. He was a good laugh...

He made this thread ;)

TeoBigusGeekus
March 27th, 2011, 10:48 PM
He made this thread ;)

You think so? Awesome!!!! (Grabs pop corn :popcorn:)

KiwiNZ
March 27th, 2011, 10:52 PM
:-\":-\":-\"):P

I am not gone yet Mr shiny white

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 10:53 PM

I was quite sure this was him for a specific reason. A person who "just joins" and already is not shy and integrates in the community. This means they were recently banned and made a new account. Posts bold threads, knows the members, is fond of the FSF... the list goes on.

I conservatively predict an 80% chance this is glossywhite. :D

debiansu
March 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I don't get what being black or white has to do with this - that seems a little off to me, tbh.

TeoBigusGeekus
March 27th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo....................!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cracklepop
March 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM
In Australia phone companies do it for free, if you ask them to. I assume there is a law that requires them to do this, and they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo....................!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lolflag: http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1269456

I am pretty sure he has a matching ip address or some such reason. The mods would not ban him on our word alone.

Spice Weasel
March 27th, 2011, 11:10 PM
In future, when a thread similar to this is posted, be sure to make use of the following useful image:

http://futonreport.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/flamewar.gif

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 11:25 PM
To mark the occasion!

♫There once was a troll
One that we all know
Aye, he made us bicker and fight
His name was glossywhite

While wreaking all sorts of havoc
An administrator known to be a maverick
He was not going to lean
and banished the troll to have burnt beans♫

TeoBigusGeekus
March 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1715897

uRock
March 27th, 2011, 11:31 PM
You have made your post in the Resolution Center.

Thread Closed