PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with old RAM cards?

jhsu802701
March 27th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I just replaced a 256 MB RAM card in my computer with a 1 GB RAM card, and I'm considering replacing at least two of the three remaining 256 MB RAM cards with 1 GB RAM cards.

What should I do with the old 256 MB RAM cards that I no longer need? I know from experience that nobody on Freecycle, in my amateur radio club, or in my Linux user group was interested in a FREE CRT monitor that still worked. (I ended up taking that monitor to Best Buy for its recycling program.)

I'm thinking that the same is likely to be true for the 256 MB RAM cards given that 1 GB RAM cards are available. It's one thing to make do with existing 256 MB RAM cards - it's another to actually spend money to buy a 256 MB RAM card when there are 1 GB RAM cards available for $20 (which I'm sure is a fraction of what the cards cost when my computer was brand new in 2006).

What do you think?

Sean Moran
March 27th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I just replaced a 256 MB RAM card in my computer with a 1 GB RAM card, and I'm considering replacing at least two of the three remaining 256 MB RAM cards with 1 GB RAM cards.

What should I do with the old 256 MB RAM cards that I no longer need? I know from experience that nobody on Freecycle, in my amateur radio club, or in my Linux user group was interested in a FREE CRT monitor that still worked. (I ended up taking that monitor to Best Buy for its recycling program.)

I'm thinking that the same is likely to be true for the 256 MB RAM cards given that 1 GB RAM cards are available. It's one thing to make do with existing 256 MB RAM cards - it's another to actually spend money to buy a 256 MB RAM card when there are 1 GB RAM cards available for $20 (which I'm sure is a fraction of what the cards cost when my computer was brand new in 2006).

What do you think?
Make good paperweights if you keep the windows closed to stop the wind.

markp1989
March 27th, 2011, 05:50 PM
depends on the type of ram I guess.

every so often when sorting out I bag up 5 or 10 ram modules and stick them on ebay.

last one was 6 sticks mixed pc100 and ddr1 which I got about £10 for which isnt bad considering I didnt know if they worked or not , I specified that in the listing.

scouser73
March 27th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I snapped the old RAM in pieces as it wasn't compatible with my new pc.

tgm4883
March 27th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Key chain if they are physically small enough.

It may be hard to find out and ship, but someone in another country may want them.

as2000
March 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Key chain if they are physically small enough.

Yep. I have done that before and have actually sold them at garage sales.

kostageas
March 27th, 2011, 06:42 PM
ebay. Older and outdated RAM cards are much more expensive than newer and updated ones. Someone else might have a use for 'em.