PDA

View Full Version : Tux magazine: difference between Linux and windows

timczer
May 7th, 2006, 03:55 AM
I know there are many articles and threads addressing how the two operating systems are different. I thought this article in TUX magazine was an interesting take on the discussion. I have attached the article (a pdf file) as the magazine comes as a pdf file.

(How come I can compress this as a tar.gz. file, at 32 kb and upload it, but I can't upload the original pdf of 37kb? Why the max size difference?)

tribaal
May 7th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Interesting read :)

Thanks a lot for pointing it out.

- trib'

nickle
May 7th, 2006, 11:02 AM
There is an interesting point in the article I had not thought of when it comes to hardware support: backward compatability and the ability to run even the latest distros on old hardware...
Perhaps not new for most, but heck some of us a slower, maybe its the ageing hardware... lol

ubuntu_demon
May 7th, 2006, 07:40 PM
interesting read. It's clearly written from/for the point of view of managers.

For us linux users the fact that linux is open source implies control although I haven't thought about it earlier in that way.

beercz
May 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up timczer

An interesting read. As I use Linux most of the time in an office full of windows users, they often ask me what makes linux different from windows, and like the author, Kevin Shockey, when asked a similar question, I spout off the usual things like more secure/stable/less prone to viruses, spyware etc...

Now I will just say 'control'. If they want me to expand further I will point them to the article.

I never thought of the comparison between linux and windows in terms of control - but I do now!!