AndrewxUK
March 27th, 2011, 04:03 PM
HP Pavilion Media Center 873n circa 2003
Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz
2.0 GB Ram

2 HDDs - WD 350GB & Seagate 250GB
ATI Raedon x1300 video card
IDE controller on the motherboard - Intel 82801DB (ICH4) reported

Installing from DVD supplied with "Ubuntu Unleashed" 2011 edition (also tried downloaded 10.10, 10.04, 9.04 CDs - same result)

openSuse is installed on first HDD (sda) with no problems

Standard install hangs with the logo and flashing dots screen.

Text-based install hangs attempting to partition sdb.

I then pre-defined the partions on SDB using Suse as

30GB root ext2
200GB home ext2
20GB swap

Selected all the boot mode options (acpi=off noapic etc)

Then used Manual partitioning and selected to use this setup.

Install now hangs "Installng the base system" "Retrieving ntpdate"

1) What further diagnostics can I do? (I am a complete linux beginner).
2) Suse runs ok - can I install Ubunto from within Suse, if so can I use the Suse kernel within Ubuntu?

thanks

Quackers
March 27th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Whilst booting from the live cd/usb and at the first purple screen (with the little man icon at the bottom) press any key. Then choose your language and on the next screen press F6. Some options will appear bottom right. Choose just the nomodeset option and see if the live desktop will load.

Sean Moran
March 27th, 2011, 04:13 PM
HP Pavilion Media Center 873n circa 2003
Intel Pentium 4 2.53GHz
2.0 GB Ram

2 HDDs - WD 350GB & Seagate 250GB
ATI Raedon x1300 video card
IDE controller on the motherboard - Intel 82801DB (ICH4) reported

Install now hangs "Installng the base system" "Retrieving ntpdate"

I might be missing something obvious, but could it be related to the download part of the install, which can take over 20 minutes to get the apt repositories off the server/s with slow connections like I tend to have?

If you run that same install with the modem switched off, it might perhaps skip the downloading part and just finishe the installation. Maybe it's not actually hanging, but just taking a darned long time to download things that the installation can manage without.

galacticaboy
March 27th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I had the same thing happen to me except it was the 10.10 Netbook Remix, it just stayed at the Ubuntu Logo Screen with the moving dots beneath it. I left it sit all night and it finally booted to the desktop. But Unity kept crashing, so I do not know if it may be hardware or not.

AndrewxUK
March 27th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I might be missing something obvious, but could it be related to the download part of the install, which can take over 20 minutes to get the apt repositories off the server/s with slow connections like I tend to have?

If you run that same install with the modem switched off, it might perhaps skip the downloading part and just finishe the installation. Maybe it's not actually hanging, but just taking a darned long time to download things that the installation can manage without.

I've left it overnight at this point, I'm using a broadband link.

AndrewxUK
March 28th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Now I've installed 10.0 within Windows 7 using wubi.

Now I get a loop during the boot - error message

BUG: scheduling while atomic: plymouthd/222/0x10000001

I've tried boot options:
noapic
acpi=off
irqpoll
noapm
nodma
nolapic
edd=off
nomodereset
nomce
nosmp
nosplash

Do I need to buy new hardware?

Quackers
March 28th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Now you have installed wubi, it may be worthwhile looking in this thread to see if your problem has been covered.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1639198

AndrewxUK
March 30th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Not realy solved but circumvented, I was able to install 11.04 Beta. As this is my sandbox which I am using to gain Ubuntu experience/knowledge that will work for me.