PDA

View Full Version : Too few users

Welly Wu
March 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM
In my family, I am the only one who uses Ubuntu GNU/Linux. I am a graduate student at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, New Jersey USA and there is only one other student in my class that uses Ubuntu GNU/Linux. This is my second semester.

One of the unfortunate things about using Linux is that there is hardly anyone to talk to about it in real life. Almost everybody uses Microsoft Windows and there are more Apple Macintosh OS X users than GNU/Linux users at least that is what my experiences bear out.

Discussion forums and special topic Linux magazines are the only sources of information that I have access to. I tried to attend a local Linux users group in New Jersey, but they are not located nearby my hometown and they rarely have meetings anymore.

Linux has had over 16 years to try to gain widespread popularity, but the sad fact of the matter is that it is still relegated to usage by the minority.

When I do try to talk to Windows users about Linux, they politely listen, but they wind up continuing to use Windows. I have given up trying to convert someone. They frequently cite hardware incompatibility and the lack of compelling gaming titles for Linux as their main stumbling blocks toward adoption.

I like Ubuntu a lot, but it is a lonely indulgence. I installed Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 bit in a 50.00 GB virtual machine within Sun/Oracle Virtualbox so that I can finish my education at NJIT until graduation.

I wish that I could write that things are getting better for Ubuntu users or other users of different Linux distributions, but I cannot find enough of the other users to gauge whether Linux adoption is on the rise or fall. I have to rely on statistics that float around on the Internet.

I have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC which is not fully compatible with Ubuntu due to the nVIDIA Optimus graphics. Based upon my research, it looks like I will be using the Intel IGP forever. I have accepted that fate, but this would be unacceptable for other owners that are toying with the idea of adopting Linux because they would have thrown out good money by paying for the nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU and they cannot use it under Linux.

At this point, I am seriously contemplating switching back to Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I own a fully licensed copy. It would take me the better part of one full day to re-download and re-install everything back to some semblance of my original Windows 7 configuration, but it can be done with determination.

I guess that what I am getting to my point is that I am not for technology for its own sake. There should be a community of fellow Ubuntu or other Linux users at one of the premiere state science and technology institutes, but there is not. This is the reality of the situation.

dh04000
March 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
.........are the computer collecting data and doing rendering jobs at your university linux based at least.

blueturtl
March 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sadly you are right about the rate of adoption.

What Linux needs right now is someone to take it and actively market it to the masses. So far nobody has really put any effort into marketing. One could argue Ubuntu does that, but what really needs to happen is computers running Linux on store shelves.

Google put Linux to good use on Android and lo and behold: Android has the majority market share in smart phones.

Big vendors don't want Linux on the desktop, because in the end it would cost them sales. You wouldn't have to upgrade your hardware nearly as often, and the support business is very lucrative to those offering it.

You should use what best suits your needs and if on the desktop that is not Linux, then you're right to go with alternatives.

RiceMonster
March 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhssqn0JMX1qcsjbx.jpg

Timmer1240
March 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I just use it because I have a lot less problems with it than I did using windows I guess I dont care if anyone else wants to use it or not they can use what they want.Linux works for me so Im happy my wife uses windows 7 shes happy Linux may never be anymore popular for a desktop OS but thats ok its around for people who choose to use it.

fela
March 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
More than half of Americans think man-made global warming is a myth / overstated.

~60% of Americans believe that Earth was created in six days.

~25% of Britons think the moon landings were a hoax.

In the relatively recent past, the majority of people in 'western' countries were racist, sexist, homophobic or all three.

Basically, the point I'm getting at is that people do the dumbest things, and we should not follow the crowd. If you're sad that not many people use Linux on their desktops, isn't the best thing to use Linux on your desktop and tell people about it, and why you think it's better? And not to just give up on everyone/everything?

Sean Moran
March 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
In my family, I am the only one who uses Ubuntu GNU/Linux. I am a graduate student at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, New Jersey USA

I guess that what I am getting to my point is that I am not for technology for its own sake. There should be a community of fellow Ubuntu or other Linux users at one of the premiere state science and technology institutes, but there is not. This is the reality of the situation.

I just ran a really quick Yahoo! search on "linux user group newark new jersey" and there were quite a few such as this one:

http://home.netcom.com/~casandra/linux/lugdetails.html

It might be out of range, as all I know about New Jersey comes from Springsteen, but good luck.

Welly Wu
March 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
No, New Jersey Institute of Technology uses Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP-3, 7 Professional SP-1 64 bit, and Server 2008 R2 SP-1 exclusively along with Enterprise SP-1.

There is a small Linux laboratory at the William Guttenberg building, but there are rarely any people inside the room except for tenured professors that are doing academic research.

NJIT requires Intel and Microsoft Windows to be used by all faculty, staff, and students. They rely upon Dell Computer as their sole vendor.

Welly Wu
March 27th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Those LUGs are located very far away from my hometown. It would be impractical for me to attend one of those meetings even on a monthly basis.

My concern with continuing to use Ubuntu is that NJIT has a baseline computing requirement which includes support for the Microsoft DirectX 10.1 standard. I have not started my graduate courses yet. If one of those courses requires that I need to use the nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU, then it will be a problem for me to complete that course.

The new Linux kernels that will be available with Ubuntu 11.04 and later releases will dramatically improve the nouveau driver performance for Intel IGP. It will come within a couple of frame rates difference to the nVIDIA proprietary drivers. I may be able to get away with sticking with Ubuntu if I need to run any graphics intensive software applications without having to reformat and reinstall Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Sean Moran
March 27th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Those LUGs are located very far away from my hometown. It would be impractical for me to attend one of those meetings even on a monthly basis.

My concern with continuing to use Ubuntu is that NJIT has a baseline computing requirement which includes support for the Microsoft DirectX 10.1 standard. I have not started my graduate courses yet. If one of those courses requires that I need to use the nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU, then it will be a problem for me to complete that course.

The new Linux kernels that will be available with Ubuntu 11.04 and later releases will dramatically improve the nouveau driver performance for Intel IGP. It will come within a couple of frame rates difference to the nVIDIA proprietary drivers. I may be able to get away with sticking with Ubuntu if I need to run any graphics intensive software applications without having to reformat and reinstall Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
I understand what you mean about the Robinson Crusoe syndrome. I'd say I'm possibly the only one in the whole province of Rayong using Linux, although that would be a slight exaggeration. Thailand still clings to Windows so much so that I have XP installed on my /dev/sda1 just for when I need some hardware and want to test it out in the shop before I buy it.

Still, the tide is turning. Run a dual-boot system until NJIT wakes up to the value of free-enterprise, because even Thailand will fairly soon. Be proud of your pioneer spirit!

wojox
March 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Another

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-riPGR66WgaI/TX9AAJOaEfI/AAAAAAAAQsg/U1Dw563nCQM/s1600/Linux-not-winning.jpg

Thread?

freebeer
March 27th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Have you considered forming your own LUG on campus? Most campuses have a pretty easy method of forming interest groups - and forming such a thing is good practical experience in the working world - looks good on a resume. ;)

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
One of the unfortunate things about using Linux is that there is hardly anyone to talk to about it in real life.
There are plenty of online communities however I agree that is not the same. From my experiences with Severed Fifth I learned it is not too difficult to start a group of your own and perhaps have interested folks join in.

I have given up trying to convert someone.
My advice is I would not worry about converting anyone. If you like free software, just enjoy using and sharing it. Let other folks worry about what they want to use. If it catches their fancy they will switch. We just need to put the word out.

Linux has had over 16 years to try to gain widespread popularity, but the sad fact of the matter is that it is still relegated to usage by the minority.
Businesses are complicated to understand. Consider the fact (just for example) Apple is a major player in the computer market and their desktop share is estimated to not even peak the 10% mark compared to Microsoft. Free software will have a bit of a battle to be mainstream. Though note you will find free software is not a minor player in the server, embedded and supercomputer market.

I like Ubuntu a lot, but it is a lonely indulgence. I installed Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 32 bit in a 50.00 GB virtual machine within Sun/Oracle Virtualbox so that I can finish my education at NJIT until graduation.
There is no shame in using software like Windows if you need to. If you like Ubuntu, use it primarily. That is what I used to do is reserve Ubuntu for me and let my family continue to use Windows. Now we all use solely Ubuntu (except for me on Debian) though.

I wish that I could write that things are getting better for Ubuntu users or other users of different Linux distributions, but I cannot find enough of the other users to gauge whether Linux adoption is on the rise or fall. I have to rely on statistics that float around on the Internet.
I would say it is on the rise. I actually meet people who say that Linux is their primary system. My local library has a card catalog right at the entrance running Fedora 10.

I have an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC which is not fully compatible with Ubuntu due to the nVIDIA Optimus graphics. Based upon my research, it looks like I will be using the Intel IGP forever. I have accepted that fate, but this would be unacceptable for other owners that are toying with the idea of adopting Linux because they would have thrown out good money by paying for the nVIDIA GeForce GT 325M GPU and they cannot use it under Linux.
I do feel bad about situations like this. To be realistic the only answer is to wait and hardware support will improve. To be fair I do not see how this is the fault of the Linux developers though.

At this point, I am seriously contemplating switching back to Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I own a fully licensed copy. It would take me the better part of one full day to re-download and re-install everything back to some semblance of my original Windows 7 configuration, but it can be done with determination.
Again use what you want, or both. :)

Not sure what this means.

galacticaboy
March 27th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I get where you are coming from. I was one of those people once. It took me a while, I was an avid Windows XP user. I think it has more to do with the fact, it is what we are used to. I grew up on Windows and knew how to use it very accurately. But once I saw the joy and benefit of using Open Source software, I then discovered Linux. I then tried it out and was immediately confused and went back to Windows. But my curiosity was peaked. I kept trying it and going back to Windows, then trying it again, and again, going back to Windows. Eventually I started to learn about Linux, how to use it, and came to love it. It takes time. You have to actually show someone rather than just tell them about it. Show them the benefits of it, show them what it looks like, how it runs. Peak their interest. Burn copies of Ubuntu and pass them out. Get people excited about it. Linux never hit it off because it came into the race way to late. Windows was already mainstream and frankly easier to use than Linux. (Unix was there but Linux was not...) All of these commands through the terminal and windows programs not being compatible without wine. I spent about 2 weeks trying to get windows software to work, then I learned about Wine! =-] I now love Linux and use Ubuntu every day, I have not touched Windows in years. Linux takes time... its like a good cup of coffee, once you take a sip, you have to drink the whole cup!
David

Welly Wu
March 27th, 2011, 04:15 PM
The Association for Computing Machinery has a chapter at NJIT with a Linux special interest group that meets every Wednesday. The problem is that I am in class during that meeting.

I am not attacking Ubuntu users or Linux. I am just saying that there aren't a lot of people to interact with given my situation either. There is a difference.

The one thing that I do miss a lot is playing games. I used to be able to play Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Sniper Elite, Breach, and Sid Meier's Civilization V as much as I wanted to when I had my Windows partition intact. Now, I can't play games anymore.

The reason why I have not installed Microsoft Windows 7 back onto my laptop is due to the fact that I have an Intel 2nd Generation 160.00 GB Solid State Drive. I have a fully licensed copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64 bit DVD from NJIT. I cannot get it to detect my Intel SSD and install it. I have tried to format the SSD as one contiguous NTFS partition and I also used the DISKPART utility with no success in terms of installing Windows 7 onto my laptop.

I may decide to give it another try. Ubuntu is nice, but Windows games are so much fun to play.

darrenn
March 27th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I was going to give a response but I thought this was more funny.

Welly Wu thats the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. No wonder you have no friends that use linux. Now your afraid to use, because your afraid your not conforming to what everyone else is using. Now im telling you that you are going to use Ubuntu and your going to be autonomous. Now I want you write "I am autonomous!" a hundred times on your teachers blackboard.

Now if you want to meet people I suggest... what the devil do you kids do these days? some sort of box social or something.

fela
March 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I was going to give a response but I thought this was more funny.

Welly Wu thats the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. No wonder you have no friends that use linux. Now your afraid to use, because your afraid your not conforming to what everyone else is using. Now im telling you that you are going to use Ubuntu and your going to be autonomous. Now I want you write "I am autonomous!" a hundred times on your teachers blackboard.

Now if you want to meet people I suggest... what the devil do you kids do these days? some sort of box social or something.

I thought exactly the same thing. ;)

The problem with the world is a sheep-like attitude to life :O

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 27th, 2011, 07:28 PM
When I got my first home computer 30 years ago no one I knew had a home computer. I guess I should have thrown it out. What was I thinking? No one needed a home computer back then.
:lolflag:
Even though it was an expensive investment of about 10% of my yearly salary, it had a big return on the investment. I learned a lot about computers, programming, operating systems, applications, etc. Now I earn three times what the average family earns in a year.

Knowing Linux may give you an advantage over the other graduates from NJIT.

Edit: By the way, I am an Engineering Manager in the real world. If someone applies from a job and has no Linux experience then they move lower in the ranking when it comes to me recommending that a job offer is made.

Welly Wu
March 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Apparently, Ubuntu users are not friendly. This is a clique that I no longer want to be a member of. Furthermore, I am definitely going to avoid other Linux users since they seem to be cut from the same ragged cloth.

I am going to investigate the DISKPART utility more closely and I plan to switch back to Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit tomorrow. The people that frequent Windows forums are much nicer than the people here at Ubuntu Forums. The other added benefit is that I can talk about Windows with other real users instead of being heckled by strangers in a virtual community.

I will tell other Windows users to avoid using Ubuntu because the community is mean spirited and elitist.

Now I understand why NJIT officially supports Microsoft Windows for academic research and it makes it a requirement toward the completion of a degree program.

Ubuntu is a good idea, but there are too few people that use it to make it worthwhile.

galacticaboy
March 27th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Apparently, Ubuntu users are not friendly. This is a clique that I no longer want to be a member of. Furthermore, I am definitely going to avoid other Linux users since they seem to be cut from the same ragged cloth.

I am going to investigate the DISKPART utility more closely and I plan to switch back to Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit tomorrow. The people that frequent Windows forums are much nicer than the people here at Ubuntu Forums. The other added benefit is that I can talk about Windows with other real users instead of being heckled by strangers in a virtual community.

I will tell other Windows users to avoid using Ubuntu because the community is mean spirited and elitist.

Now I understand why NJIT officially supports Microsoft Windows for academic research and it makes it a requirement toward the completion of a degree program.

Ubuntu is a good idea, but there are too few people that use it to make it worthwhile.

Man I completley understand what you mean... I have had that problem, I did not read much of this post but I am so sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with the forums. This is sad to hear, this place is supposed to be a sanctuary for people to come when they have problems and get answers from people who care. But this is not the case for you, I am so sorry. Please do not give up on Ubuntu, I will try to help you if you need it, just let me know. Again I am sorry to hear that you have had this kind of experience on here. I have come to expect more from this forum, I DO expect more.

beew
March 27th, 2011, 08:12 PM
It my university it differs depending on the departments. In mathematics, physics, chemistry, engineering and computer sciences they run Linux/Unix mostly if not exclusively (in engineering it is a mix). Whereas in other faculties outside the hardcore sciences it is Windows. I think Apple is trying to push some deals with the faculty of education now but I don't know how far it will go (it is likely though because from what I see many professors/administrators in non technical faculties are switching to Mac)

Dustin2128
March 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Uh.... ok then... if complain about the lack of users, then you don't want to take the effort to find out that there are plenty of people who use linux in the real world, then complain about the elitism of users, I can't see why you're a valuable addition to the community. No offense. Also I think I may have just fed a troll.

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Apparently, Ubuntu users are not friendly.
Yeah because we did not answer your questions quickly and fully and actually listen to your opinions or anything.

This is a clique that I no longer want to be a member of.
Sure you didn't intend to say this from the start? Why bother to even post here then?

Furthermore, I am definitely going to avoid other Linux users since they seem to be cut from the same ragged cloth.
Now who is being unfriendly?

I am going to investigate the DISKPART utility more closely and I plan to switch back to Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit tomorrow.
I wish you success in your switch back.

The people that frequent Windows forums are much nicer than the people here at Ubuntu Forums.
There are good eggs and bad eggs everywhere. I find this to be null and void.

The other added benefit is that I can talk about Windows with other real users instead of being heckled by strangers in a virtual community.
If someone is being rude to you ignore them and report their post. A forum is just another communication medium so I have no idea what you are trying to get at here.

Why not look into the mirror first. Also was it not Microsoft that referred to open source as a cancer?

Why? I will bet you don't know for real; this sounds like you are just being insulting. :P

Thanks for that, I think it is a good idea as well. Sadly I will have to tell the other 10 million Ubuntu users they should just give it up, there are to few of them for Ubuntu to be of any use.

I like how I am accused of being mean spirited and elitist by a mean spirited elitist.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 27th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Apparently Welly Wu thinks that Ubuntu and RHEL are popular enough to be mentioned in a resume. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/welly-wu/1a/92a/62 :confused:

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Apparently Welly Wu thinks that Ubuntu and RHEL are popular enough to be mentioned in a resume. http://www.linkedin.com/pub/welly-wu/1a/92a/62

Of course. :)

I think I am going to petition this to be locked though, just going to be hate posts from here on out.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Of course. :)

I think I am going to petition this to be locked though, just going to be hate posts from here on out.

I think you are right.

dgw
March 27th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Wait, how did you make the leap from noting that there aren't many linux users at your school to determining that we're a clique that isn't friendly? I'm not following your train of thought. Also, didn't you notice before you installed Ubuntu that there weren't many users, compared to Windows or Apple?

This thread is entertaining. :popcorn:

Sef
March 27th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Locking the thread as it is on the point of flaming it seems.