PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Ubuntu Browser?

operatorace
March 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since it came out, and used it as my main desktop until 2007 when I went to Vista, then to OX. I got the old desktop working again, put some more ram in, and overclocked the CPU.

What's the lightest fastest browser these days for Ubuntu?

Legendary_Bibo
March 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I'm liking Firefox 4 right now, everything is working like it should for me, and it's fast.

Dustin2128
March 27th, 2011, 03:52 AM
probably links. ;)

operatorace
March 27th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I'm liking Firefox 4 right now, everything is working like it should for me, and it's fast.

It is pretty fast, but considering the age of the machine something lighter (not text based!) would be nice :)

Dustin2128
March 27th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Chromium or epiphany then.

GabrielYYZ
March 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
you could give midori a try...

i don't know if it's great or anything, i've just used it once or twice 'cause it got installed by default on Fedora XFCE but i know that it is very lightweight. don't think it has many features either, but you can check it out and see if you like it.

Legendary_Bibo
March 27th, 2011, 04:33 AM
you could give midori a try...

i don't know if it's great or anything, i've just used it once or twice 'cause it got installed by default on Fedora XFCE but i know that it is very lightweight. don't think it has many features either, but you can check it out and see if you like it.

Midori would always crash if I went to any site that have too much flash like Amazon.

operatorace
March 27th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Epiphany and Midori are both great suggestions! Thanks guys.

Hur Dur
March 27th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Dillo, Netsurf, Links, w3m, and Lynx.

Rasa1111
March 27th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Ive found chromium to be faster , and better really than anything else.
So that's what i use.

I was hoping firefox4 would at least be as fast as chromium,
as Id rather use FF, but it still can't keep up. lol

weasel fierce
March 27th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Epiphany was my main browser for a couple of years. Worked great and very snappy.

Haven't used it in a while. Chrome/Chromium does a great job too, but its rather RAM intensive

NightwishFan
March 27th, 2011, 07:33 AM
The fast browser? Probably Opera. Not open source and heavy though.

The most efficient browser? I would think Midori or Epiphany, perhaps even 32-bit Firefox would work well.

leviathan8
March 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Use wget as Richard Stallman does for browsing the internet. :)

Spice Weasel
March 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Dillo, Netsurf, Links, w3m, and Lynx.

Add netrik, retaq and wget to that list and you have the fastest browsers. Dillo and links are probably the fastest graphical web browsers that are still around.

ssam
March 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM
install flashblock (lets you only play the flash that you want). you will get an instant speed up.

steveneddy
March 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I've found Chromium to be faster , and better really than anything else.
So that's what I use.

I was hoping Firefox 4 would at least be as fast as Chromium,
as I'd rather use FF, but it still can't keep up. lol

+1

*punctuation?* :D

fela
March 27th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Opera has very fast Javascript.
Google Chrome is fast all round, and also has very fast JS.

Firefox has medium-slow javascript compared with the last two, but isn't a bad browser.

I'd say Chrome wins, but that's just my personal preference.

scouser73
March 27th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Opera is very fast, I'd say it was a tie between that and Chrome.

stmiller
March 28th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Chrome ftw!

http://www.google.com/chrome

uRock
March 28th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Chrome for speed. Firefox 4 is still much slower.

bodhi.zazen
March 28th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since it came out, and used it as my main desktop until 2007 when I went to Vista, then to OX. I got the old desktop working again, put some more ram in, and overclocked the CPU.

What's the lightest fastest browser these days for Ubuntu?

Fastest for what exactly ?

Ive found chromium to be faster , and better really than anything else.
So that's what i use.

I was hoping firefox4 would at least be as fast as chromium,
as Id rather use FF, but it still can't keep up. lol

ff4 is faster then ff 3.x , but, depending on the benchmark, chromium is faster at some tasks.

You can google search the benchmarks, or run your own, again, it will sort of depend on what you use your browser for ;)

3Miro
March 28th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Chromium is in my experience fastest, but it is a memory hog.

FF is more resource conservative, but it is slower (even the 4.0 version).

Midori is only bit slower than Chromium, but takes much less RAM than FF. However, Midori doesn't always open all pages and the lack of Flashblock makes it very bad for some web-pages.

(you have installed flash-block right? all browsers can have hard time with some pages, unless flash-block is there).

Epiphany and Galeon are about the same resource wise as Midori, although probably with more trouble opening specific pages. (I have not done too much testing so I may be wrong).

I have not done too much other tests, so I cannot talk about other browsers. I have 4GB and 8GB of RAM on both my main machines, so I use Chromium. I may start using FF on the 3GB laptop, it seems fast enough (not that the memory is really an issue).