PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update 10.04 to 10.10 break grub?

ottosykora
March 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I had 10.04 installed, grub in the root partition, since booting with other bootmanager.

now I simply upgraded to 10.10 via net and from now when I start ubuntu, I get the grub2 prompt saying grub-xputs not found.

and now?

ottosykora
March 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
is there any way I can rescue the installation or is this now the end of it?

Any help to that? I could not even get any list of the commands on the rescue grub prompt.

(this grub2 seems to be more of a trouble then help, had only grub legacy so far, no experience with this one and problem on first use)

ottosykora
March 26th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Itried to reinstall grub withthe aid of boot cd 10.04, got conection, went to the synaptic, tried to download it fom the rep, but no luck it tells me that the files are not avail there.

What else can I do appart from complete reinstall?

Is this to be expected in future at every update?

ottosykora
March 26th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Is ther a way to install legacy grub to the partition, as while I tried somehow to reinstall grub2 from a life cd, the installation tells me that this kind of installation is unreliable , may not work and should not be done.

So I need to install legacy grub to the partition.

Earlier I di dthat by installing old version of ubuntu and then updating to curent version. The legacy grub remained ten fine.
But as there are no more versions available except the 8.04 which however deos not support network cards of my computer, then his version failed too.

Is there a way I can install legacy grub to the partition and hwo?

Thanks for help in advance.