PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is desktop background directory ?

mrpenguin
March 26th, 2011, 04:25 AM
I want to add and remove pictures to use as a background ... I know I can do this by right clicking on the desktop but I am looking for the actual file where the backgrounds are stored.

Is there a way to access this and not use the terminal ??

i am using Ubuntu 10.10 64bit

Krytarik
March 26th, 2011, 04:31 AM
They are in "/usr/share/backgrounds".

If you are looking for the users desktop background "choice" file instead, it is "~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml".

Greetings.

ChipOManiac
March 26th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Do you mean the ones supplied with the os? In that case it's
/usr/share/backgrounds

mrpenguin
March 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Great Thanks, found it .... now how do I delete the pictures already in there ? I need to be root but I know nothing about the terminal, is there a way to do it without the terminal ?

PCNetSpec
March 26th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Easiest way is open nautillus as root...

open a terminal and enter:

gksudo nautilus

Now use the nautilus window that just opened to delete them
(be aware right clicking and selecting "Move to Wastebasket" will only send them to the root trash bin... if you want to fully delete them, highlight them and hit the Shift+Delete keys)

or delete them from the command line:

sudo rm /usr/share/backgrounds/<filename>

Krytarik
March 26th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Great Thanks, found it .... now how do I delete the pictures already in there ? I need to be root but I know nothing about the terminal, is there a way to do it without the terminal ?
- press Alt+F2
- enter

gksudo nautilusAlso see this earlier thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712297

Running 'sudo' graphically:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Viper92Z
March 26th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Lunch Terminal and type:

gksudo nautilus

Then a window will show up, you can use it to explore folders, just delete whatever you want with that.

mrpenguin
March 26th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Awesome ! Got it .......... thanks guys

jonbwilson
March 31st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Follow up question to this. When I pull up the Appearance app to set themes, backgrounds, etc., I notice that any background I've previously added that wasn't originally included with the OS is gone, and I have to add it again. Is there any way to make those backgrounds "stick" in that selection window? I've tried copying the pictures into the usr/share/backgrounds, as well as the /.backgrounds folders, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Krytarik
March 31st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I know, I used to experience the same behaviour, until just now!!
That's really weird, maybe a recent update, or it returns just tomorrow. ;-)

I used to switch between the backgrounds located in my home directory, and they were always gone when I chose another one of them. And I believe to remember that I also tried it once in "/usr/share/backgrounds", out of annoyance about the repeated disappearence of my added backgrounds. And it also didn't work!

But if it stays like it is now, I'd be really glad!

Since I can't reproduce that behaviour at my system currently/anymore, I can only suggest to fiddle with manually editing "~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml", right the same like I did, before I surprisingly noticed that it changed its behaviour.

jonbwilson
March 31st, 2011, 08:05 PM
I know, I used to experience the same behaviour, until just now!!
That's really weird, maybe a recent update, or it returns just tomorrow. ;-)

I used to switch between the backgrounds located in my home directory, and they were always gone when I chose another one of them. And I believe to remember that I also tried it once in "/usr/share/backgrounds", out of annoyance about the repeated disappearence of my added backgrounds. And it also didn't work!

But if it stays like it is now, I'd be really glad!

Since I can't reproduce that behaviour at my system currently/anymore, I can only suggest to fiddle with manually editing "~/.gnome2/backgrounds.xml", right the same like I did, before I surprisingly noticed that it changed its behaviour.

This looks like it might be the ticket. Crossing fingers.

jonbwilson
March 31st, 2011, 09:25 PM
This looks like it might be the ticket. Crossing fingers.

Nope. I added one of the images to the .xml file and no cigar. I even rebooted to try to make it show up and it didn't work. It's not really that big of a deal. Just one of those annoying quirks. Oh well.

hictio
March 31st, 2011, 10:29 PM
Check this Karmic: System wide wallpaper for regular joes (http://oesediez.blogspot.com/2010/02/karmic-system-wide-wallpaper-for.html), I've done that on Karmic, but perhaps it'll work for you.

jonbwilson
April 1st, 2011, 02:14 AM
Check this Karmic: System wide wallpaper for regular joes (http://oesediez.blogspot.com/2010/02/karmic-system-wide-wallpaper-for.html), I've done that on Karmic, but perhaps it'll work for you.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the link. Of course, I don't know that I'll ever change my background/theme away from the Elegant Gnome Pack (it's so damn sexy), so it might be moot at this point.

For those of you having this issue that are too lazy to click on a link and tinker on your own, just type this into a terminal:

gksu gedit /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/ubuntu-wallpapers.xml

That'll bring up the required xml file in your text editor with root privileges (you'll have to enter your password first). Then just mimic the tags for the other images and add your own. Make sure you know where the image you want to add is located e.g. /home/jon/.backgrounds or something similar.

Krytarik
April 1st, 2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback! However, my user's "backgrounds.xml" still works fine! :)