PDA

View Full Version : FIRST Robotics

Kirboosy
March 26th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I was just wondering if there were any people on the Ubuntu Forums that are active members of the FIRST Robotics Competition (http://usfirst.org/) (any version, FLL, FTC, FRC etc...)

Right now I'm busy with my team at their regional competition. (PALMETTO REGIONAL!) So far my team (#342) is 6th out of 43. Not to shabby. :) There are live streams (http://robotics.nasa.gov/events/2011_frcwebcasts.php) from the competition which starts at 9:00 AM Eastern Time and goes till 6 PM I believe... So yeah if you are interested you should watch and find a local team to help next year. :)

Tomorrow is the finals and championship for this regional.

~Caboose

Kirboosy
March 28th, 2011, 03:55 PM
B.U.M.P.!

Well our regional is over and my team finished 15 which is still awesome! We had some issues but overall we did well. :D I'm just glad now that I can get back to my normal routine of life...lol

~Caboose

mmsmc
March 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM
great job, im with team 180, did you guys go to atlanta last year, i heard there completly changing it this year!

Kirboosy
March 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Haha team 180 totally crushed everyone. You guys had a killer robot.

Did you participate in the Summerpygames?

We did go to Peachtree last year (I think thats "Atlanta") We got chairman's award. This year we are going to North Carolina instead. Hopefully we do better there and qualify for nationals... I haven't heard much about the changes that they will be doing to Atlanta...

cprofitt
March 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I assisted with coaching a team of 5th graders this past year and may be involved in the 6th - 8th grade team next year.

mmsmc
March 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
yeah i was in summer pi games

Kirboosy
March 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I assisted with coaching a team of 5th graders this past year and may be involved in the 6th - 8th grade team next year.

Awesome. I would like to help out the younger kids but I've been busy helping out 4 different FRC teams 342, 3475, 3489, 3490 (342 is my main team, I was on it when I was a student in 2009) Maybe next year I might help a young team out.

I really enjoy working with the Highschoolers, because most of them are self motivated and want to learn. Also it allows you to connect with them in a different way because they are making big life decisions and I can offer advice to them on what they should do. (Most people think mentoring is only teaching the kids about robots but there is so much more than that to it...)

yeah i was in summer pi games

Right on. I was in the original group that programmed "Burnies Balloons"