PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I upgrade squeeze to Ubuntu 10.10

debiansu
March 26th, 2011, 02:15 AM
As per title, how does one go about upgrading Debian 6.0.1 "Squeeze" to Ubuntu 10.10 please?

TIA

oboedad55
March 26th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Well, they don't use the same repos so I think it would be kludgy at best. I would just do a clean install of Ubuntu. Ubuntu's origin is Debian, but it's too different to try to "upgrade". If you have a separate /home partition you may be able to use it with the new install.

debiansu
March 26th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Well, they don't use the same repos so I think it would be kludgy at best. I would just do a clean install of Ubuntu. Ubuntu's origin is Debian, but it's too different to try to "upgrade". If you have a separate /home partition you may be able to use it with the new install.

I think I may just throw another drive in, and triple boot. I do love my Debian - don't wanna screw it up :(

Thanks for the advice.

oboedad55
March 26th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I think I may just throw another drive in, and triple boot. I do love my Debian - don't wanna screw it up :(

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a plan. I'm running three hard drives, one with Mandriva on it, another with Windows 7 and the third has various Ubuntus on it. I like Debian, very fast and stable, but I prefer having the latest versions of software and that's easier to do on Ubuntu. Best of luck!

debiansu
March 26th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'm running three hard drives, one with Mandriva on it, another with Windows 7 and the third has various Ubuntus on it. I like Debian, very fast and stable, but I prefer having the latest versions of software and that's easier to do on Ubuntu. Best of luck!

Cheers! \\:D/