PDA

View Full Version : Full ATX Tower Vs. ATX Tower?

Lucradia
March 26th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Which one should I go for? Should I have the power supply on the bottom or top? I'd love good airflow, but no more than front, back and side (processor) fans are really needed. The case has to be pretty stable, and please, no lock system. But it MUST have front AND back fan chassis.

I won't be buying right away; at least not until my credit card is paid off in several months. So I'd rather have it now so I can monitor the price of it in the future. The side fan duct shouldn't be tailored specifically for one processor type, I may choose to go Intel in the future rather than AMD.

This will be the first thing I really need to buy before going on to upgrading the internals further on.

Side note: an SSD will be going in it in the future.

3Miro
March 26th, 2011, 02:19 AM
This all depends on your hardware. I have a Phenom II X4 in a Mini ATX tower with integrated video and it works great. The box is very portable.

Some years ago I got an ATX mid-tower case for my machine and it had planty of air-flow and all (this actually depends on the case itself). Only after the last upgrade did the cables for the PSU become too much to hanle and I am thinking of getting a full ATX.

I would rather get a good mid-tower than a cheap full-tower. It all depends on the actual hardware that you would be using.

Another note, PSU at the bottom has some flaws. If you get that, you should try to liftup your case so that you are not on the ground itself.

Lucradia
March 26th, 2011, 05:17 AM
I currently have a mid-ATX tower, prebuilt from ASUS; I would rather go ATX/Full for my next case. But as you know, ATX and Full ATX Towers are not the same. I've seen both ATX and Full ATX Towers at computer shops, and ATXs are only a bit bigger than mid-ATX, while Full ATX is much larger than a mid-ATX.

The reason why I want to see what options I have is, is because having mid and microATX isn't my thing, after using both kinds. I must have ATX or bigger. I've taxed my systems due to heat issues with powerful graphics cards.

A GTX 5xx series will be going inside, so I need plenty of space.

GabrielYYZ
March 26th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Full ATX for me...

my current case (an Xclio A380Plus-BK) is full tower and, while it weighs quite a bit, i find it very roomy and with good airflow. if/when i decide to change motherboards, i don't have to worry about space and the thing just looks good.

i have an ATX and a Mid Tower ATX that i'm going to use for something, but i'm happy with the Full ATX and, if i buy another one, it's going to be Full ATX.

Lucradia
March 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Full ATX for me...

my current case (an Xclio A380Plus-BK) is full tower and, while it weighs quite a bit, i find it very roomy and with good airflow. if/when i decide to change motherboards, i don't have to worry about space and the thing just looks good.

i have an ATX and a Mid Tower ATX that i'm going to use for something, but i'm happy with the Full ATX and, if i buy another one, it's going to be Full ATX.

It seems yours may have issues with fans breaking down, according to the reviews on new egg. I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133056

But it seems the side fan, according to a handful of reviews, must be ordered directly from the case company.

GabrielYYZ
March 26th, 2011, 06:09 AM
i've never trusted user reviews... it's not that i think they're all wrong but people (myself included) are more prone to talk about the bad than the good.

for example, i bought a Samsung HDD about 2 years ago and it lasted me a month :o i took it back to the store, had a replacement and it was the same model. i'm still using that HDD and it works perfectly, if i had written a review, well... you get the point.

i saw this case on a store and checked it out on google, saw 2 user reviews (i think that one on newegg was one of 'em) but that's not what i saw on the store and it's definitely not the case i have, this case feels good. maybe i have a 2nd revision or something (v2.0?) but the fans on this one are sturdy and the case itself feels "not cheap" for lack of a better term.

Lucradia
March 26th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Well, if it can fit up to a 12~13 inch video card, why not? But it seems like this might be a better solution: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146062

LowSky
March 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
you shouldn't need more that a mid-atx case. just make sure is long enough for the graphics card. my favorite band is lian-li. all aluminum is better at heat dissipation, so you don't need as many fans

Lucradia
March 26th, 2011, 11:31 AM
you shouldn't need more that a mid-atx case. just make sure is long enough for the graphics card. my favorite band is lian-li. all aluminum is better at heat dissipation, so you don't need as many fans

Yes, but the cases for lian-li are all 19 inches or lower in length; has to be a bit longer (at min, 21 inches.)

But still has to have room for a front and back fan :V