PDA

View Full Version : My Geek Squad Experience

throese
March 26th, 2011, 01:50 AM
So, I just got off the phone with Geek Squad telling them about how my laptop has overheating problems and that the fan fails at keeping it cool and that the cooling vent doesn't help much either.

So I was talking to this young man that some lady forwarded me too and I started asking questions about if they're hiring etc etc.

Well, I asked him how knowledgable he thought his fellow co-workers were and he said "They're very knowledgble."

So anyway, after talking to him for about ten minutes about computer related things aside from hiring and if the GS people used Linux to get rid of viruses and if I'd be able to test Linux on the comp before buying one, I was about to say "Thank you so much for your assistance and answering all of my questions with honesty." when the line was cut. Only reason I could think of him hanging up is 1) He got tired of hearing me or 2) He had a customer, seeing as he told me he is a Sales Rep.

So, what do you all think? Good experience or bad one?

ki4jgt
March 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM
So, I just got off the phone with Geek Squad telling them about how my laptop has overheating problems and that the fan fails at keeping it cool and that the cooling vent doesn't help much either.

So I was talking to this young man that some lady forwarded me too and I started asking questions about if they're hiring etc etc.

Well, I asked him how knowledgable he thought his fellow co-workers were and he said "They're very knowledgble."

So anyway, after talking to him for about ten minutes about computer related things aside from hiring and if the GS people used Linux to get rid of viruses and if I'd be able to test Linux on the comp before buying one, I was about to say "Thank you so much for your assistance and answering all of my questions with honesty." when the line was cut. Only reason I could think of him hanging up is 1) He got tired of hearing me or 2) He had a customer, seeing as he told me he is a Sales Rep.

So, what do you all think? Good experience or bad one?

Sounds like a great one to me.

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Or 3, the call was cut off it does happen. :rolleyes:

throese
March 26th, 2011, 02:14 AM
kj4jgt: Yes, I'm glad it was a good experience and not a bad one like so many others have had.

KiwiNZ: That is very true, thanks for reminding me of that possibility. =)

steveneddy
March 26th, 2011, 03:49 AM
In this day and age with technology running so efficiently there is NO WAY that the call was disrupted in any way.

It is OBVIOUS that the "salesperson" purposely hung up on you.

I mean - who on the "Geek Squad" knows ANYTHING about Linux?

It's a conspiracy I tell you! And "they" are out to get ALL OF US!

I'm changing my phone number tomorrow.

throese
March 26th, 2011, 05:04 AM
steveneddy: You have a point. Tech is really advanced these days so phone calls should drop much, esp if it's a landline. It's whatever and the dude admitted that none of his fellow co-workers don't have any knowledge of Linux and he didn't either.

johntaylor1887
March 26th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. After hearing about Best Buy's anti-linux campaign, employees are probably told to not deal with "anarchist hippies". But this is just conjecture, of course.

I've heard a lot of stories from unhappy geek squad customers.

My customer asked me how Best Buy can stay in business with such horrible help, and all I can think of is they get enough first time customers to stay profitable. I have never heard anyone say one good thing about them.

Spr0k3t
March 26th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Geek Squad makes me a lot of money. Plain and simple. I get people calling me all the time asking for help doing "onsite" work to fix an issue the GS couldn't figure out. I get donated hardware from time to time by friends who were told the computer is "toast" only to replace memory or something else simple to get it up and running. It's amazing if you ask me... the kind of service I keep hearing about is extremely sub par at best.

Don't get me wrong though, there are a few gems working for GS that really do know what they are doing. I know all five of them personally. \\:D/

Seriously though, GS and Linux do not mix.

Oh yeah, the dropped call must have been an AT&T iPhone without the "bumper".

Rasa1111
March 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
rather typical.
they don't enjoy people who know what they're talking about.
Simple as that. lol

ronnielsen1
March 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I was waiting in line to buy a stick of memory and I overheard them tell 3 of the people the virus destroyed their hard drive and they needed a new one. I'm just curious how many hard drives they install

disabledaccount
March 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
hmm, I have read this topic from beginning - and everything here is leading to conclusion that Geek Squad is not a Squad, and You can't find Geeks there - it's just funky name to attract clients, while their ability to support anything is poor to none.
Personally - I would avoid them - there are many good stores, and if You need advice, ask computer forum members, not peoples who are interested in selling questionable quality services and crappy computer components (advertising them as High Quality).

throese
March 26th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Originally I had called to mess with them, but decided to be serious when I couldn't hear a damn the when I talked to the woman (before she forwarded me to the woman) b/c there was static and a lot of background noise.

donkyhotay
March 26th, 2011, 03:31 PM
it's just funky name to attract clients

+1