PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] cant load live cd

natman
March 26th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Hi,
I am using my new laptop, hp dm4 1150ea, core i5 ( built in graphics ).
I burned an install cd ( amd64 version ) of u/x/kubuntu ( all three ) every time i boot from the cd i get the welcome screen, i select to install then the screen flickers and thats it - the screen goes totally black just like the machine is turned off ) the cd drive keeps working away but i have no idea what is going on.
Next time i pressed f6 for boot options, and asked for "noapci" and another one i cant remember - this time the boot worked but was very slow at one point.
I also tried a cd of Natty alpha3 same deal. Will i ever be able to install normally?

debiansu
March 26th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Hi,
I am using my new laptop, hp dm4 1150ea, core i5 ( built in graphics ).
I burned an install cd ( amd64 version ) of u/x/kubuntu ( all three ) every time i boot from the cd i get the welcome screen, i select to install then the screen flickers and thats it - the screen goes totally black just like the machine is turned off ) the cd drive keeps working away but i have no idea what is going on.
Next time i pressed f6 for boot options, and asked for "noapci" and another one i cant remember - this time the boot worked but was very slow at one point.
I also tried a cd of Natty alpha3 same deal. Will i ever be able to install normally?

You say "built in graphics" but what is the graphics chipset?

natman
March 26th, 2011, 02:23 AM
It just says intel graphics, as far as i know the grahpics are built into the intel i5 chip. From spec:
Intel® HD Graphics, up to 1696 MB total available graphics memory

debiansu
March 26th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Hmmm, Intel graphics are usually THE most Linux compatible. Sorry, pass.

natman
March 26th, 2011, 01:24 PM
thanks, wow i was a very silly boy. Totally by accident i turned the laptop screen towards a window and just about seen an image, turns out the screen brightness was way way down ( practically zero ) once i tapped the button back to normal.
Sorry for the time wasting!