PDA

View Full Version : Can Red Hat do a Billion?

wojox
March 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Red Hat's Steady March to the Big Leagues (http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Red-Hats-Steady-March-to-the-Big-Leagues-72136.html)

The idea of an open source company pulling in a billion dollars in annual revenue probably would have been unimaginable a decade ago, but Red Hat has drawn close to that milestone -- and it's likely because of its commitment to Linux, not in spite of it. Red Hat's continually evolving use of Linux and open source makes it "a more reliable multi-product, multi-service company," observed Geek 2.0 blogger Steven Savage.

I've been following this since Wednesday night. Pretty interesting. 1 billion US American Dollars, their on track to do.

Quadunit404
March 25th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Considering how Red Hat controls a majority of the server market and has robust support plans along with a modest 10 years of support for their server products and new end-users (usually large businesses) purchasing their products seemingly every week, them approaching the US$1b mark in revenue doesn't surprise me much. So yes, if their success in the business market continues, it's entirely possible for Red Hat to do a billion.

jennybrew
March 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Fantastic figures for Red Hat.
Good luck to them

3Miro
March 26th, 2011, 01:06 AM
The only thing I find surprising is that they don't do that already.

LowSky
March 26th, 2011, 01:42 AM
A billion in revenue isn't really that much. I would be more amazing to report a billion in net income.

dh04000
March 26th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Well based on extrapolation, of their current increasing revenue, they will reach 1 billion this coming fiscal year.

But we all know that extrapolation is a crappy science. So lets just wait and see. :)

KiwiNZ
March 26th, 2011, 02:04 AM
A billion in revenue isn't really that much. I would be more amazing to report a billion in net income.

Umm OK :rolleyes:

wojox
March 26th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Well based on extrapolation, of their current increasing revenue, they will reach 1 billion this coming fiscal year.

But we all know that extrapolation is a crappy science. So lets just wait and see. :)

I just hope The European Commission (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/223224/eu_bodies_plan_upgrade_to_windows_7_without_public _tender.html) wasn't a variable in any way.

NormanFLinux
March 26th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Red Hat's viability is good news for its open source offspring, the Fedora Project. Both sides can work with each other to their mutual benefit. Novell and the OpenSUSE Project have a similar arrangement.