PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10 & PS CS5?

J_Wales
March 25th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've seen a few post about cs5 working in wine with unbuntu 10.10. I'm curious what about the mac version of cs5 under ubuntu. Has anyone messed around with it or know?

andamaru
March 25th, 2011, 04:17 PM
The mac version of Photoshop doesn't run with wine. Out of curiosity, why did you want to run the Mac OS version over the windows one?

murderslastcrow
March 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Because the Cocoa framework, Aqua graphical framework, and Quartz display server don't work natively under Linux, it's impossible to run applications that need those under Linux ie. most OS X software.

I think it'd be awesome to get Aqua/Cocoa working on Linux and use it next to Qt4 and GTK+ 3, and it would probably be less work than Wine. But then you have to ask the question- outside of Adobe software, what Mac-specific software is there that Linux users would really want in the first place?

So yeah, stick to the Windows version of CS5, it works pretty well under Wine. Is there anything specific to the Mac OS X version you wanted?

J_Wales
March 25th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've heard they made a lot of changes to the interface when they made the windows version. One of the things I don't like about the windows version I have, is the inability to layout the toolbars anyway you want. This might be the same in both versions i'm not sure, but I do know that they did make a lot of interface changes to make the windows version. For example in windows I can only snap specific tools or bars on the sides of other bars. I can't get them to lay out horizontally against the bottoms and tops of each other. Since i've never used the mac version I don't really know the differences so maybe it doesn't matter.