PDA

View Full Version : Are you looking forward to GNOME 3 ?

TuxLyn
March 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I've recently noticed that Ubuntu 11.04 will ship with GNOME 3. It should be huge change to interface. I was wondering about performance of it, since there is a lot of eye candy. Will it be slower then current 10.10 version now. Also, what major future changes should I expect in GNOME 3 ?

An Sanct
March 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Well, 11.04 will ship with Unity (http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/unity-ubuntu-software-center-and-sound.html)...

PS. Official info (http://unity.ubuntu.com/)

slackthumbz
March 25th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Whilst Natty won't be shipping with any gnome 3 stuff you can still build and test gnome 3's latest features. Check out http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell#Building

boydrice
March 25th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I am running the Fedora 15 Alpha with gnome-shell and so far I am loving it. It isn't perfect and lacks a few things but overall I think it is a very nice change.

Exodist
March 25th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I am not sure what to look forward to. Unity doesnt seem to bad but I feel like its just a icon bar more or less, GShell seems to much for new PC users, and over all. I just cant stand the min/max buttons over on the left side. Overall thats the most annoying ____ thing ever. Its hugely unpopular buy most everyone if you look at all the feedback on the bug reports.

Then theres KDE, as I like it the most now.. its still not just right. Some things just dont show well under it. "Firefox and OpenOffice" for examples...

GabrielYYZ
March 25th, 2011, 05:01 PM
i downloaded the fedora 15 alpha the tuesday, tried it and confirmed what i suspected: i don't like it. at all.

OTOH went ahead and added the kubuntu-backports PPA, got me some KDE 4.6 and my jaw dropped to the floor because of how fast it actually is now. and i'm sure it would be better if i hadn't so much trash for kde 4.5 on this system already.

GNOME 3 is like a failed attempt at innovating punctuated by some pretty awful ideas... but that's just my opinion of it. whoever likes it, fine by me, i just won't use the thing.

edit: @Exodist: QtCurve is the package for you, firefox 4 looks just like a Qt app with it. might be worth a try...

boydrice
March 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Not that it would change anyone's opinion but gnome-shell has changed quite a bit from the release of the F15 alpha, for example the gnome-tweak tool which was pushed out yesterday. For those who don't actually install it and update using yum there are nightly snapshots available to run as a live cd. As far as speed goes I really think one has to actually install it to get a feel for it in my opinion.

dh04000
March 25th, 2011, 05:09 PM
KDE was pretty bad at first, and now its much better. I read that GNOME 2 was missing many of the features of GNOME 1, and that people hated it too. But over time, it got better. And now is extremely feature complete and has amazing work flow.

GNOME 3 will get better. Just wait 2 years or so. :p

murderslastcrow
March 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
So far as I know Ubuntu is shipping with GTK+ 3, which, outside of Gnome-Shell is the biggest part of Gnome 3. So I'm definitely looking forward to GTK+ 3 being used more frequently among the open source community.

So far as Gnome-Shell goes, it's far better to start with a new, controversial, interesting, fresh, focused idea, then tame it down to fit most users over a year or so, than it is to take an old idea and try to beef it up.

Regardless of what users think, it's always easier to start fresh if your code base is getting unweildy and develop for the forseeable future than to take an old piece of junk and try to make it work. Gnome is doing a better job than KDE so far as backwards-compatibility goes, but I don't think it's a valid criticism considering the difficulty of the task.

I think there are good things about KDE 4, Gnome-Shell, and Unity that everyone can appreciate, as well as elements that people will dislike in each of them. But I think we can all agree that it's better to move forward and make a few small mistakes we can fix later. For everyone else, there's Xfce4.

mips
March 25th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm not looking forward to Gnome3 or Unity, I just don't like it.

Looks like I'm heading back to KDE.

CraigPaleo
March 25th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Regardless of what users think, it's always easier to start fresh if your code base is getting unweildy and develop for the forseeable future than to take an old piece of junk and try to make it work. Gnome is doing a better job than KDE so far as backwards-compatibility goes, but I don't think it's a valid criticism considering the difficulty of the task.

You really can't compare the two. Gnome 3 isn't a complete rewrite as KDE 4 was. Gnome 2 -> Gnome 3 is more like KDE 2 -> KDE 3.

I'm sticking with KDE myself. Gnome 3 (shell and Unity) radically changes the way we use our computers and it looks like it's only change for the sake of change. I'm not really looking forward to it.

KegHead
March 25th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Hi!

I'm most likely going to Xubuntu 11.04.

Looks like it will fill my need!

KegHead

Version Dependency
March 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I will test out Unity when it's released...but I always return to openbox.