PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HowTo: add Fedora 15 to Maverick Grub 2

kansasnoob
March 25th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I just installed Fedora 15 to do some gnome3 testing and it still uses an antiquated grub. Rather than spending the time to add my many operating systems to it's grub I chose to just accept the default (Fedora only) and when the installation was complete I used the chroot procedure here (METHOD 3 - CHROOT):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD

To reinstall my Maverick grub 2, but I noticed Fedora was not picked up by os-prober. No biggy, I rebooted (and after fiddling in BIOS to get past the Fedora CD rebooting rather than ejecting) I booted into Maverick and once again ran "update-grub".

Arrgh, still not found! Still not a problem, this works for detecting many operating systems:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libdebian-installer4

sudo os-prober

sudo update-grub

It worked ............ again!

So, if you want to check out the full suckage of gnome3/gnome-shell rock on. You'll soon find that SABDFL was right in pursuing Unity :D

Credit where credit is due, I learned this a long time ago here:

http://digitizor.com/2009/12/28/how-to-add-opensuse-11-2-to-grub2/

I've found it works for adding a lot of "nux" OS's to grub 2, enjoy.

zvacet
March 25th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Tnx! :D

Quackers
March 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I just told Fedora to install grub (legacy) to the root partition. Then booted into Ubuntu and ran sudo update-grub. Fedora now appears in my grub2 menu. I'll keep it that way. Obviously it has drawbacks, but, I suspect, not as many as grub legacy and grub2 fighting each other :-)

mrsomoasun
May 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
You guys helped me get Fedora set up with no problem. The update-grub routine worked just fine.

That part about the Gnome 3 suckage. Yup, absolutely right. It's interesting, but stupid. I'm sold on Unity for sure. :guitar:

garvinrick4
May 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
I looked at fedora 15 and in anaconda choose not to install any grub being it was grub-legacy
as it seems all RedHats cousins use. Upate grub in whichever install grub-pc
is being used in and all OK. The problem I have had with Fedora is that it had some
funky way of dist-upgrading through its boot partition which of course I can have nothing
to do with do not use grub-legacy and or a boot partition? Any one else look into that?
Another is with Debian using grub-pc you install and has no os-prober is a seperate
install, which is no problem just different. Was a selection in install not to install grub in
Debian which I like in a installation package.

Mac-ghost-hunter
June 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
How did you pick were to put the grub legacy? I installed it and that last warning was no changes will be writen to disk and the fedora took off deleting my grub2 entry on the MBR. I hope to get it fixed tonight what a headache with grub .97

Mac-ghost-hunter