PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Anybody tried Condor?

silentshadow927
March 25th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I'm thinking about installing Condor on my computer (running Ubuntu 10.10). I was wondering if anybody here has tried Condor before, and if so, what sort of problems/difficulties you ran into.

areeda
March 25th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I'm thinking about installing Condor on my computer (running Ubuntu 10.10). I was wondering if anybody here has tried Condor before, and if so, what sort of problems/difficulties you ran into.
I've read up on it when I was thinking about a job with the LIGO project. I know they use it a lot.

You might try the einsteing@home forums http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_index.php

Just curious what you'll be using it for, if you don't mind sharing.

Joe

silentshadow927
March 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I've read up on it when I was thinking about a job with the LIGO project. I know they use it a lot.

You might try the einsteing@home forums http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/forum_index.php

Just curious what you'll be using it for, if you don't mind sharing.

Joe

Thanks a lot!

I'm a sophomore math and physics major in college right now (and I would be a computer science major too, if it were feasible to pull a triple major). I've been thinking about getting a new computer, so I can have one to take to classes or the library and one to keep in my room, without having to deal with unplugging everything and plugging it back in five minutes later. But then I didn't want whichever one I wasn't using to be sitting there doing nothing when I have projects (of whatever kind) I could be working on. So I was thinking about Condor so that I could get the best of both worlds, so to speak.

Just as an idea of the kind of projects I may end up doing, earlier this year I wrote a program that calculated all the twin primes from 3 to a billion, then tell me the difference between a given pair and the next pair. That program took seven and a half hours to finish running. It's the kind of thing that would be nice to be able to have going while I'm asleep and not trying to use the computer at the same time.
And then at my school, you're required to do a Senior Thesis for each major, so I'll have to be doing a thesis for math and physics at the same time. Maximum computer time will be pretty much necessary.

Simian Man
March 25th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I have worked with it a bit, and it has worked pretty well. I never set it up though, so I can't comment on that.

areeda
March 26th, 2011, 06:31 AM
A couple of comments:

Might want to check out the PrimeGrid project (http://www.primegrid.com/)that's another of those boinc projects that computes primes. Sources might even be available.

Boinc and Condor are similar in purpose but Boinc is meant for a public project using a whole lotta small computers while Condor seems to be set up for computers you control.

Now that said either one seems to me like overkill for a personal project with a couple of computers. A student learning a potentially useful package is different.

If your just looking for something that lets your program be nice and go away when the machine is busy with real work you might want to checkout /proc/loadavg.

Joe