PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no desktop resolution options

Newuser901
March 25th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I have ubuntu installed on it's own harddrive. I just pick the HDD at startup etc. It's has total use of the system. I have the 64 but version. And I belive this is ubuntu 10.10 64bit

Hardware:

MB: GA-ep35-ds3r (Gigabyte)
Vid: GeForce8800GT 512mb (Gigabyte)
Mon: Iiyama HM903DT B Vis Master pro 454

I don't have the options in system/preferences for changing the resolution. I'm extremely new to linux. I've had a class with unix but don't remember it and I think I've installed in the past but never really did anything. I can't find anything flatly giving info on driver install or driver reality in linux or ubuntu(not anything not written in such a specific manner it was of any help or for whatever reason.). Basically what it needs how it works differently from windows(or just on it's own). And I don't know why I don't have the option in preferences to change the resolution. What do I need to get my video hardware up and running? and what do I need to get full use out of my monitor? I think the test I ran from admin says 1028 X ? is the max resolution. I should be able to get 1900 something x something. and the card has more. What do I need to do?

Mind you I have some medical problems that make me a little slower than normaly mentally so I have a harder time. I won't connect resources quite as easily as other people. So sorry if I'm missing something obvious in search etc. I couldn't find anything on my own.

And I had it run something to scan for drivers and it installed one for the video card. I do have an option in preferences called monitors which has the nvidia logo and options, but again no resolutions for desktop and other desktop setting. The only desktop setting I have is for a remote one. Something is missing. I'm wondering if it is the monitor drivers being absent not making it auto do something.

And on a side note. Anyone know anything like netflix(pay or free. Not sure if farscape creators were more the open use type or not) that has Farscape on it that does not say you need windows for it. I have had netflix for like over a year and install this and am really bummed I can't play it on ubuntu now. It's a bummer since I want to go completely to linux type os if I can. I couldn't stand the idea of paying more money to get something with basically no upgrades and all that money just for 64 but support. This allows me to get any new stuff for free and may be a more supportive environment if at some point I can get back to the idea of trying to figure out how to write an os. 8) god knows what microsoft will charge for 128 but or higher. god forvid multi bit support becomes a reality.... They may take your first child or take ownership of your bank account...

Hishighness
March 25th, 2011, 12:44 AM
It should be under

System -> Preferences -> Monitors as you said, what do you see there?

Newuser901
March 25th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Ah ok. I have that but..

"It appears that your graphics driver does not support the encassary extension to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?"

If I hit yes I get the nvidia thing I mentions with no resolutions options(3d stuff or other brightness stuff etc ). If I hit no it does go to the right screen. But with limited values and options. any way to get full use of my hardware?

Zzl1xndd
March 25th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Ah ok. I have that but..

"It appears that your graphics driver does not support the encassary extension to use this tool. Do you want to use your graphics driver vendor's tool instead?"

If I hit yes I get the nvidia thing I mentions with no resolutions options(3d stuff or other brightness stuff etc ). If I hit no it does go to the right screen. But with limited values and options. any way to get full use of my hardware?

I believe this comes up when the driver didn't install as expected or Complete installing. Did you restart after the driver install? if not try that. If that doesn't work you might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.

As for the Netflix question, I believe Amazon has a similar service now. I can't say if its any good as its only live in the US.