PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Save Ubuntu installation while reinstalling Windows 7

dejansoftware
March 24th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hi,

is it possible to save Ubuntu installation over Wubi in Windows because I have to totally reinstall Windows 7 and after that I would like to use Ubuntu that I already had installed.

Thanks

wilee-nilee
March 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hi,

is it possible to save Ubuntu installation over Wubi in Windows because I have to totally reinstall Windows 7 and after that I would like to use Ubuntu that I already had installed.

Thanks

Wubi is inside of W7 it will be gone if you recover W7. You can move the wubi to a partition though, but if your running a recovery from the HD rather then a disc you will probably overwrite the whole HD.

bcbc
March 24th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Thanks
backup the \ubuntu\disks directory. There should be only two files root.disk and swap.disk. The root.disk is the important one but back them both up.

It's not straightforward to get your old Ubuntu restored after the reinstall, but it's not difficult either. the main issue is that the partition number and UUID from the install is saved within the root.disk. So you have to do some mods to that on the fly. I advised someone about this recently - I'll look for the thread.

bcbc
March 24th, 2011, 06:12 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10584729&postcount=4

Personally if I was reinstalling I'd create a dedicated partition for Ubuntu. If you decide to do this, it's possible to migrate your existing Wubi.