PDA

View Full Version : Love Linux.. But make love with WINDOWS!

maduranga
May 6th, 2006, 06:31 PM
[-X

Most linux user i have found, dont have install only linux on their PCs.. The common way is, installing linux with Windows XP.. And doing a dual boot... (Dual face ppls) And those people do there important work with XP and and keep linux as an Open Source Property of them!

Why Linux didn't became the Best And Only solution for PCs?? what would be the reason? what do u think?????

Maduranga....

prizrak
May 6th, 2006, 06:38 PM
There been countless threads on that already.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
From the way the guy types i think the interpretation is free and NO, i don't run Linux wearing hockey gear.

JimmyJazz
May 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I do all my important work in Dapper.

lazyd2
May 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I do all my important work in Dapper.Me too

Kvark
May 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM
The network effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect#Software) is one reason why Windows is more popular then Linux. Another reason is that Windows is preinstalled on the computers people buy and people usually just use the system that came with the computer.

About dual booters I got the impression that most people who dual boot use Linux for serious work and Windows for games.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
The network effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect#Software) is one reason why Windows is more popular then Linux. Another reason is that Windows is preinstalled on the computers people buy and people usually just use the system that came with the computer.

About dual booters I got the impression that most people who dual boot use Linux for serious work and Windows for games.

Yeah, and most try to get their games to work one way or another just so they don't need to reboot.

aysiu
May 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Most linux user i have found, dont have install only linux on their PCs.. The common way is, installing linux with Windows XP.. And doing a dual boot... (Dual face ppls) And those people do there important work with XP and and keep linux as an Open Source Property of them! There are a variety of reasons. I think they generally fall into one of three categories:

1A. As you stated, fun on Linux, work on Windows.
1B. The reverse--work on Linux, Windows-only games on Windows.

2. Relatives or friends need the Windows boot. The Linux user just keeps it around for them.

3. Just because we paid for it or "just in case." I hardly ever boot into Windows, but I just keep it around because I have a lot of hard drive space and... why not? Microsoft isn't giving me a refund on it, and I don't have to use it just because it's there, but if I ever did want to use it (I used it, for example, to try out Songbird when it first came out), it's there.

Why Linux didn't became the Best And Only solution for PCs?? what would be the reason? what do u think????? I'll give you the full range of responses you'll get to this question, summed up right here.

Responses I don't agree with:
It's just not user-friendly enough
It isn't easy to install
It doesn't have any productivity software
Too many distributions
You need the command-line in order to do anything
Hardware support sucks

Responses I agree with:
Most people are used to using Windows
Windows comes preinstalled--Linux you usually have to install yourself
Commercial software isn't available or easy enough to install
People don't know enough about the choices out there--so the choices are overwhelming
There aren't labels on printers, scanners, MP3 players, etc. with a picture of Tux, letting you know the piece of hardware is Linux-compatible

ThirdWorld
May 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM
[-X

Most linux user i have found, dont have install only linux on their PCs.. The common way is, installing linux with Windows XP.. And doing a dual boot... (Dual face ppls) And those people do there important work with XP and and keep linux as an Open Source Property of them!

Why Linux didn't became the Best And Only solution for PCs?? what would be the reason? what do u think?????

Maduranga....

There are many features in illustrator that inkscape dont have, and therefore I need to reeboot on windows. Adobe suite dont run with linux, and they are the only applications that I really miss.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
[-X

Maduranga....

Ok, since everyone likes to bump the idiot i'll bury this.

Even if not very thank you mam i do thing very Linux. Windows also not. Ubuntu Rocks.

There, now stop bumping this incoherent BS post.

aysiu
May 6th, 2006, 10:00 PM

Even if not very thank you mam i do thing very Linux. Windows also not. Ubuntu Rocks.

There, now stop bumping this incoherent BS post. You just bumped it again.

Oh, wait, I just bumped it again! Argh!

helpme
May 6th, 2006, 10:01 PM
You just bumped it again.

Oh, wait, I just bumped it again! Argh!
*bump*

RavenOfOdin
May 6th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Hey . . . maybe this guy, despite the incoherence, is on to something.

"Make love with" == f**k

I agree wholeheartedly :D

2. Relatives or friends need the Windows boot. The Linux user just keeps it around for them.

I know what you mean.

transactionlogfiller
May 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
RavenOfOdin, I was just about to post something similar.

TheCaptain
May 6th, 2006, 10:35 PM
RavenOfOdin, I was just about to post something similar.

*mumbles something about people bumping worthless threads*

Oh snap!

Piggah
May 7th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I have a about $200 in games that only run on Windows XP. I also have a 250 gig hard drive with plenty of space to spare.

It would be a complete waste for me to get rid of Windows.

I do all my "real work" in Linux though. It's been about a month since I've been into Windows XP.

I don't think dual booting really changes anything. =\

TheCaptain
May 7th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I have a about $200 in games that only run on Windows XP. I also have a 250 gig hard drive with plenty of space to spare.

It would be a complete waste for me to get rid of Windows.

I do all my "real work" in Linux though. It's been about a month since I've been into Windows XP.

I don't think dual booting really changes anything. =\

Nobody cares what you are using, really, you don't get a Linux medal or something...

;)

woedend
May 7th, 2006, 01:10 AM
@TheCaptain:
go troll elsewhere, please. What, you pissed off everyone you know in real life and now you turn to the internet and our forums? I'm betting you don't even use ubuntu.
And along the lines of what you say, what makes you think anybody cares what your opinion is? Exactly.

rado_london
May 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I use Windows because of the MS Office. Shame on me. But it is the best IMO. I have it at college and I have to have it at home. OOo you would say. But it isnt compatible. When I make .doc document with images, tables and charts OOo is displaying it as a crap. Thats why I use XP. And I also have OS X. I use it for multimedia (iLife). For everuthing else I use Ubuntu and I use it 98% from the time I am in front of my computer.

prizrak
May 7th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I use Windows because of the MS Office. Shame on me. But it is the best IMO. I have it at college and I have to have it at home. OOo you would say. But it isnt compatible. When I make .doc document with images, tables and charts OOo is displaying it as a crap. Thats why I use XP. And I also have OS X. I use it for multimedia (iLife). For everuthing else I use Ubuntu and I use it 98% from the time I am in front of my computer.
There is actually an ODT plug in for MS Office if you want to save files for your own use that you can later use with OOo.

Omnios
May 7th, 2006, 02:09 AM
If I would have found Ubuntu before I bought the XP update I would not have XP dual boot on my system!

Protostar
May 7th, 2006, 02:50 AM
@TheCaptain:
go troll elsewhere, please. What, you pissed off everyone you know in real life and now you turn to the internet and our forums? I'm betting you don't even use ubuntu.
And along the lines of what you say, what makes you think anybody cares what your opinion is? Exactly.

Seriously. +1

towsonu2003
May 7th, 2006, 02:56 AM

I'm not sure this is true.. Unless there are hardware problems (hardware not working in Linux)... or newbie (trying to adapt)...

I wrote my thesis in Ubuntu (the most important thing I did in the couple of years), and the only difficult part (ok, apart from the damn winmodem) was to make my advisor understand that unless she installed OpenOffice[1] on her work computer, she was going to get pdf copies of the thesis... She chose pdf ;)

PS. She was much flexible compared to most profs I know... The regular profs I know would say "{censored} off"...

[1]Firefox and OpenOffice are not supported by the IT here, which does all the installation stuff (administrator privileges).

Responses I don't agree with
*snip*
Hardware support sucks

but it does :PpP

Endnote: bump

EndEndNote: When did they release the ODT plugin for MS Office? I thought (and read) they didn't know what to do with it for now.

newbie2
May 7th, 2006, 03:15 AM
"Although about three million computers get sold every year in China, people don't pay for the software," Gates reportedly said. "Someday they will, though. And as long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."
:rolleyes:
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/23/microsoft.china.idg/

prizrak
May 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM
EndEndNote: When did they release the ODT plugin for MS Office? I thought (and read) they didn't know what to do with it for now.
There is a thread somewhere on the forums about that, too lazy to search :)
[1]Firefox and OpenOffice are not supported by the IT here, which does all the installation stuff (administrator privileges).
I think both can be run off of a USB drive, well FF in any case (also too lazy to search but it's on Google).

maduranga
May 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM

There, now stop bumping this incoherent BS post.

Hey guyz,, take a look at this....

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=169631

maybe, thats why TheCaptain of idiots get frustated when he saw my thread.. lol...:razz:

GeneralZod
May 7th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Burnt Beans

Is this a record?

void_false
May 7th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Agree. Count me in.

Also I spent too much time theming it to look like OSX. Cursors, icons, sounds, bootscreens, UNIX-like command promt, etc. It would be just a waste to destroy such great (imho) work. ;)

mostwanted
May 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Seriously. +1

If you visit someone's profile page it's possible to add him/her to your ignore list. Just a thought. I just did it myself (first time I've had to do that on these forums).

Stormy Eyes
May 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hey . . . maybe this guy, despite the incoherence, is on to something.

"Make love with" == f**k

I agree wholeheartedly :D

I wouldn't f--- Windows with your ****, let alone my own. I might sodomize it with a shotgun, though. :)

towsonu2003
May 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I think both can be run off of a USB drive, well FF in any case (also too lazy to search but it's on Google).
They can be: http://portableapps.com/ (Gimp, Thunderbird, Firefox, OpenOffice, Game, ClamWin, NVU and so on... they keep making them... I use Firefox and OpenOffice in my work computer)

RavenOfOdin
May 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't f--- Windows with your ****, let alone my own. I might sodomize it with a shotgun, though. :)

Good idea. :D