PDA

View Full Version : Am I a sad old sod?

t0p
March 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Is it daft for a man in his forties to take up roller-blading? I know some people say "life begins at forty" but they're usually over forty themselves. Other folk might think it's a male menopause thing, like getting a big red sports car and a twenty year old blonde girlfriend. What does the great Ubuntu Community say on this matter?

Random_Dude
March 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Exercise is good for you.

koleoptero
March 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Don't let stereotypes affect you, do what you want.

Spice Weasel
March 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM

This.

el_koraco
March 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
just make sure you get elbow and knee pads

Rasa1111
March 24th, 2011, 11:35 AM
not 'daft' at all my friend.
Good on you for it!

If you like it, and want to do it, do it!
And it's good for you!
can't lose.

I think nothing of seeing 40+ people roller blading, skiing, surfing, etc..
well, i think nothing other than.. "good for them!"

Roller blading is fun!
Havent done it in years, but i have been wanting to again lately.

Have fun bro, be safe! :)

ikt
March 24th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Is it daft for a man in his forties to take up roller-blading? I know some people say "life begins at forty" but they're usually over forty themselves. Other folk might think it's a male menopause thing, like getting a big red sports car and a twenty year old blonde girlfriend. What does the great Ubuntu Community say on this matter?

Ask not what people think of you, but what you think of yourself.

Miguel
March 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The only thing I can say is to wear protective items. Never without a helmet, and take care of your knees.

mips
March 24th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Just keep in mind your bones and things are not as flexible as they used to be :D

chrinabuntu
March 24th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Hey...I'm in my 40s and I started Trikking a couple of years ago. Some people think it's awesome...others think it's pretty "daft". I think it's the most awesome thing I've ever discovered. I'm always talking about Linux/Ubuntu and Trikking...neither of which are widespread, so I'm cuckoo all around! ;O)

Trikke (http://www.trikke.com)
*and no, I don't use the electric version!! I'm a Trikke purist!

Eldera
March 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Take the safety measures suggested by the other posters and go for it. Looking back, my 50's were the busiest, most active time of my life and one of the most satisfying times. You have 10 years head start on that. Go, go, go.

I have had to switch to more mental, less physical activities now, but trying new things all the time has kept life good.

Have a great day, Eldera

samalex
March 24th, 2011, 02:29 PM

If you're in good shape and physically can handle roller blading then most definitely go for it! I'm in my mid-30s and have thought about picking it up after I get in better shape, but too many years sitting in front of the computer has had its toll on my me :)

handy
March 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Good stuff tOp.

My wife & I both wish that we had an ice skating ring here abouts, as we'd both love to spend time every week skating.

If there was an area where we could Rollerblade in our area we would be doing that as it is easy on the joints & good for the cardiovascular system, which is most especially beneficial for us as we get older. (& we are somewhat older than you.)

All of the other protection things that people have said are just the common sense part of the game that I'm sure you are tired of hearing about by now. :)

Bottom line = Go for it!

scouser73
March 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM
No, there's an pensioner that roller blades, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7908446.stm

pl@yer
March 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
go for it...life's to short

forrestcupp
March 24th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Are you going to be wearing tight Spandex, pads, and a helmet?

sydbat
March 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Are you going to be wearing tight Spandex, pads, and a helmet?I just threw up a little in my mouth...

t0p - Dude, do what you want and don't let others make you feel that it is wrong...unless of course you DO wear spandex, then all bets are off...:P

marl30
March 24th, 2011, 05:49 PM
No, there's an pensioner that roller blades, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7908446.stm

This really cracked me up, particularly the follow up video in the middle of the article.

But yeah, you should do whatever adds more joy to your life. Just be safe.

Dragonbite
March 24th, 2011, 06:15 PM
The only limitation depends on how drastic of a change is this for you? If you haven't been exercising for a looooong time then it may be more difficult (and dangerous) to jump right into things, and at this age we don't bounce back so quickly!

If you are in reasonable shape, got protective gear and is smart about it then it shouldn't be difficult to start and surpass even the young whip-er-snappers! ;)

Just for the record, I turned 40 last December so I kinda understand.

koenn
March 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
it's a male menopause thing,...
it probably is - or at least one of the milder symptoms of midlife crisis.
but don't let that stop you.

+1 on the 'no spandex'

t0p
March 24th, 2011, 06:52 PM
it probably is - or at least one of the milder symptoms of midlife crisis.
but don't let that stop you.

+1 on the 'no spandex'

Hmm. If I can't wear the spandex I don't know if I wanna play... ;)

I was gonna become a superhero, but then I saw Kickass and decided rollerblading might be a little less punishing. Plus I don't think I could live it down if I got battered by an eleven year old girl, even if she was sporting a pair of balisongs...

Anyway, I'm gonna give the roller-blading a go. If passers-by make nasty comments I won't be able to hear them as I'll be zooming along faster than the speed of sound. Or is that a superhero thing?

beew
March 24th, 2011, 06:56 PM

This guy is cool, I like him already.

@Op,

Don't fall for stupid stereotypes. Chronological age is meaningless, people age at different rate, it depends on lifestyle, outlook and personality. I know very young 60 year olds and very old people in their 30s. You only become old when you stop smelling the roses, stop seeing wonder and awe, settling down into habits and resign to accepting your perceived limitations.

I found that it is often people who have ageist attitude towards older folks (by that I mean people in their 60s, 40 is hardly there) that have the hardest time when they get older and these people freak out when they turn 30.

I never ask people their age, it is a marketing thing to target different demographics. But this whole concept is broken any way as people are living longer, starting life and family later (stay longer in school) and more possibilities have open up. In my father's generation 30 is old but in mine I expect that 60 will be considered young when I get there in several decades. There are only cool people and uncool people, people who have spirit and those who don't.

(This strikes me because there is this obese lady who lives in my house, she is in her mid 40s but she always calls herself "the old woman", never goes out, has no interest or curiosity and apparently has been like that for all her life. It is sad watching her, I mean how can she be old if she has never lived?)

KiwiNZ
March 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Go for it. I am in my 50's I hate pigeonholing, age means squat.

RiceMonster
March 24th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Don't worry, roller blading is lame regardless of age XD

KiwiNZ
March 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Don't worry, roller blading is lame regardless of age XD

No it's roller blading will make you lame despite your age :P

Eldera
March 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I mean how can she be old if she has never lived?)

That's a very good question; worth thinking about.

Irihapeti
March 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
If passers-by make nasty comments I won't be able to hear them as I'll be zooming along faster than the speed of sound.

If passers-by make nasty comments, you can tell yourself that they are just jealous because they don't have the nerve to get out of their rut.

Doesn't that feel better already?

Go for it!

P.S. I'm older than KiwiNZ

forrestcupp
March 24th, 2011, 09:16 PM

I was gonna become a superhero, but then I saw Kickass and decided rollerblading might be a little less punishing.

Superheros wear tight spandex, too. ;)

sanderella
March 24th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I am 66 and....I skate. :KS

Lightstar
March 24th, 2011, 11:19 PM
age? what's that?

Cracklepop
March 24th, 2011, 11:39 PM

I was gonna become a superhero, but then I saw Kickass and decided rollerblading might be a little less punishing. Plus I don't think I could live it down if I got battered by an eleven year old girl, even if she was sporting a pair of balisongs...

Anyway, I'm gonna give the roller-blading a go. If passers-by make nasty comments I won't be able to hear them as I'll be zooming along faster than the speed of sound. Or is that a superhero thing?

Don't let age stop you! Inline skating (a name with much less imagery attached to it, that you might consider using) is a great sport. I started in my teens, and although these days most of my skating happens on an ice rink with a hockey stick, I plan to be skating in one form or another until my 120yo, robot assisted legs fall off.

The stereotypical image of skaters wearing spandex shorts etc is horrendous!! :p
I blame some faceless marketing exec in the 80's....
As a less freaky and vomit-inducing option you might want to try some inline hockey pants: http://www.rollerhockeymonkey.com/inline-pants-sr.html
They're loose, baggy, and very comfortable.

It takes some dedication to break through the ''Oh ****!'' stage and reach the superhero stage, but it's worth it.

m3t3ors
March 25th, 2011, 01:51 AM
no mate ya not daft, its the other people that are daft for not having the guts to get out and try something new,
good on you my friend

dont let what others think stop you trying something new

handy
March 25th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I am 66 and....I skate. :KS

Was that photo taken on frisky Friday?