PDA

View Full Version : Can earthquakes destroy websites?

brawnypandora0
March 24th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Suppose an earthquake physically destroys a website's servers. Does that mean the website becomes non existent?

samcot
March 24th, 2011, 03:54 AM
A website can't work if the servers are destroyed, turned off, or otherwise unavailable or unreachable. Does electricity become "non-existent" in homes if the power lines have been destroyed in a hurricane? Is this a serious question?

wojox
March 24th, 2011, 03:56 AM
If the server at the time of the earthquake was trying to solve philosophy problems, then yes. :P

No really, define destroyed.

uRock
March 24th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Please do not open non-support threads in the support section of the forums.

Moved to the Community Cafe.

Thanks,
uRock

ki4jgt
March 24th, 2011, 04:30 AM
The domain is registered at the Domain Registry, So unless the registry (There are multiple registries all with over lapping registration information <in case one does go down>) then the person can get his/her website back up and running. But as far as, can the site go down? Yes it can.

MasterNetra
March 24th, 2011, 06:53 AM
If the server is destroyed to the point where the data is not recoverable and the website had no backup to restore from then yes that website would be gone. The website address might still be available but their would be nothing to visit except a error page.

ki4jgt
March 24th, 2011, 06:56 AM
If the server is destroyed to the point where the data is not recoverable and the website had no backup to restore from then yes that website would be gone. The website address might still be available but their would be nothing to visit except a error page.

Thanks for clerifying that MasterNetra LOL. Sometimes I think so fast, I can't get it all down :-( I think I need to start breathing and slowing down a bit.

HermanAB
March 24th, 2011, 08:39 AM
There is always the Wayback Machine:
http://www.archive.org/

Tristam Green
March 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Google Cache.

Nothing may be deleted from the Internet.

samalex
March 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM
For mission critical sites it's worth having it mirrored in at least two different data centers in different parts of the country then based on some DNS awesomeness the user could be directed to either site based on availability. So there are ways around this with some forethought.

But if you're hosting a blog say at home via your cable modem (which is what I do) and if my home is hit by a tornado... yeah it's gone except for Archive.org, Google Cache, or backups on my laptop given my laptop is with me and I'm away from the house.

handy
March 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I don't think that there is too much that an earth quake can't destroy.

It just comes down to intensity & distribution in the end.