PDA

View Full Version : Will Lubuntu Go 64Bit?

rcayea
March 24th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Does anyone know if Lubuntu ever plans to come out with a 64bit edition of the distro?

NightwishFan
March 24th, 2011, 04:54 AM
There are 64-bit Lubuntu packages. I am not sure about .iso builds though.

wojox
March 24th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Yeah you could always download the 64 bit mini.iso which gives you just an Ubuntu base install (all command line). Then install the packages:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop ldm ldm-ubuntu-themes

johntaylor1887
March 24th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Yeah you could always download the 64 bit mini.iso which gives you just an Ubuntu base install (all command line). Then install the packages:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop ldm ldm-ubuntu-themes

It would be fast as hell too. I love doing cli installs. But xfce can't be overlooked as an option if it's done on a minimal install.

msandoy
March 24th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Using the minimal install sounds like a fun way of getting it done.
But, RAM is the cheapest hardware around, and it's quite far between the 32 bit CPU's. Lubuntu should be giving out 64 bit, since what is normally classified as "old" hardware today, usually has a 64 bit cpu. If you grab an "old" computer, max out the ram and install 64 bit, you can have the little extra making it worth while using it.

rcayea
March 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have done the mini.iso install before. I find it more fun to install only what I want. Although, sometimes it is frustrating to select a package to install and then to see all the other dependencies that have to go with it.

Thanks for the responses. I did ask because I feel like it would be a waste of my ram to install the 32bit version of Lubuntu.

Hopefully they come out with a 64bit version soon.

BrokenKingpin
March 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM
There really is no reason not to have a 64-bit version these days.

JOHNNYG713
March 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM
As soon as the developer gets a 64 bit rig !! :P :guitar::lolflag:

DarkTide
March 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM

Paqman
March 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I have done the mini.iso install before. I find it more fun to install only what I want. Although, sometimes it is frustrating to select a package to install and then to see all the other dependencies that have to go with it.

Yeah, half the trick of using the minimal install is knowing what packages to pick that don't pull in too much stuff. There are nice light desktops available for Gnome, XFCE and LXDE, but not for KDE any more. The script in my sig is designed to help out a bit, i've tried to do some of the research and strike a balance between lightness and usability for the lightweight DEs.

murderslastcrow
March 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM
If you're going to do a CLI install you might as well use something with better packages than Ubuntu XD. But in all seriousness, it wouldn't be all too difficult to build your own ISO in 64-bit if you think it's something people would like, and encourage the Lubuntu team to do something official in the meantime. Of course, the last thing we need is more Ubuntu-derivatives thinking they're being original, so don't do anything unnecessary. XD